A split-band directly modulated fiber optical CATV system employing -1 side-mode injection-locked and semiconductor optical amplifier (SOA)-based optical single sideband (SSB) modulation techniques is proposed and experimentally demonstrated. For our proposed systems, it is relatively simple to implement as only one SOA is required. Excellent performances of carrier-to-noise ratio (CNR), composite second order (CSO), and composite triple beat (CTB) were achieved over a-100 km single-mode fiber (SMF) transmission.
2. Lu, H.-H., C.-Y. Li, C.-H. Lee, Y.-C. Hsiao, and H.-W. Chen, "Radio-over-fiber transport systems based on DFB Ld with main and-1 side modes injection-locked technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 25-33, 2009.
3. Seo, J. H., Y. K. Seo, and W. Y. Choi, "Nonlinear distortion suppression in directly modulated distributed feedback lasers by sidemode optical injection locking ," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 41, L136-L138, 2002.
4. Tzeng, S.-J., H.-H. Lu, C.-Y. Li, K.-H. Chang, and C.-H. Lee, "Cso/Ctb performance improvement by using Fabry-Perot etalon at the receiving site," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 107-113, 2009.
5. Davies, B. and J. Conrad, "Hybrid modulator structure for subcarrier and harmonic subcarrier optical single sideband," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 10, 600-602, 1998.
6. Lee, U. S., H. D. Jung, and S. K. Han, "Optical single sideband signal generation using phase modulation of semiconductor optical amplifier," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 16, 1373-1375, 2004.
7. Hong, Y. and K. A. Shore, "Locking characteristics of a side-mode injected semiconductor laser," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 35, 1713-1717, 1999.
8. Chang, C. H., L. Chrostowski, C. J. Chang-Hasnain, and W. W. Chow, "Study of long-wavelength VCSEl-VCSEL injection locking for 2.5-Gb/s transmission," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 14, 1635-1637, 2002.
9. Clesca, B., P. Bousselet, and L. Hamon, "Second-order distortion improvements or degradations brought by Erbium-doped fiber amplifiers in analog links using directly modulated lasers," IEEE Photon Technol. Lett., Vol. 5, 1029-1031, 1993.