In this paper, a coplanar waveguide fed (CPW-Fed) ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with dual band-notched characteristics is proposed. Two symmetrical slots are etched from the ground plane to achieve the notched band at 5.5 GHz. The other notched band at 3.5 GHz is obtained by etching a split ring slot in the radiator. The simulation and measurement show that the proposed antenna achieves an impedance bandwidth of 3.1-10.6 GHz with VSWR < 2, except in the bands of 3.2-3.8 GHz and 4.8-6.2 GHz. A nearly omnidirectional radiation pattern and stable gain with variation less than 3 dB are also observed except in the two notched bands. Moreover, time-domain characteristics of the antenna are analyzed and discussed as well.
2. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "3.5/5.5 GHz dual band-notch ultra-wideband antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 3, 172-174, 2008.
3. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection ¯lter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, 2006.
4. Zhang, Y., W. Hong, C. Yu, Z. Q. Kuai, Y. D. Don, and J. Y. Zhou, "Planar ultrawideband antennas with multiple notched bands based on etched slots on the patch and/or split ring resonators on the feed line," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 56, No. 9, 3063-3068, 2008.
5. Zhang, Y., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. Y. Zhou, "A compact multiple bands notched UWB antenna by loading SIR and SRR on the feed line," Proc. ICMMT, Vol. 1, 198-201, 2008.
6. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, 2008.
7. Gayathri, R., T. U. Jisney, D. D. Krishna, M. Gopikrishna, and C. K. Aanandan, "Band-notched inverted-cone monopole antenna for compact UWB systems," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 20, 1170-1171, 2008.
8. Kim, H., D. Park, and Y. Joo, "All-digital low-power CMOS pulse generator for UWB system," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 24, 1535-1536, 2004.
9. Sorgel, W. and W. Wiesbeck, "Influence of the antennas on the ultra-wideband transmission," EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 3, 296-305, 2005.