In this work, the efficient analysis and design of optimised turnstile junctions showing low reflection coefficient is investigated. For this purpose, a rigorous multimodal analysis of compensated junctions is developed, which is based on the computationally efficient 3-D Boundary Integral-Resonant Mode Expansion (3-D BI-RME) technique. The electrical performance of the standard turnstile junction has been drastically improved by compensating this microwave component using piled-up partial-height cylindrical metallic posts placed on the base of the junction. Moreover, the authors demonstrate that improved designs can be derived by compensating the turnstile junction using one single cylindrical post, which is easier to manufacture than a piled-up post, and it is a more robust element to confront high-power effects. This novel Computer-Aided Design (CAD) tool has been verified through excellent comparisons between the obtained results and those provided by the technical literature, and also by a well-known commercial finite-element method software.
2. Navarrini, A. and R. L. Plambeck, "A turnstile junction waveguide orthomode transducer," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 272-277, 2006.
3. El Sabbagh, M. and K. Zaki, "Modeling of rectangular waveguide junctions containing cylindrical posts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 299-331, 2001.
4. Wu, H. C. and W. B. Dou, "A rigorous analysis and experimental esearches of waveguide magic tee at W band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 131-142, 2006.
5. San Blas, A. A., F. Mira, V. E. Boria, B. Gimeno, M. Bressan, and P. Arcioni, "On the fast and rigorous analysis of compensated waveguide junctions using off-centered partial-height metallic posts," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 1, 168-175, 2007.
6. Rhinewine, M., "A linear polarization diplexer at 34 GHz," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 40, 951-952, 1969.
7. Aramaki, Y., N. Yoneda, M. Miyazaki, and T. Horie, "Ultra-thin broadband OMT with turnstile junction," EEE MTT-S Int. Dig., 47-50, 2003.
8. Pisano, G., L. Pietranera, K. Isaak, L. Piccirillo, B. Johnson, B. Maffei, and S. Melhuish, "A broadband WR10 turnstile junction orthomode transducer," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 4, 286-288, 2007.
9. Jia, H., K. Yoshitomi, and K. Yasumoto, "Rigorous analysis of rectangular waveguide junctions by Fourier transform technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 263-282, 1998.
10. Jia, H., K. Yoshitomi, and K. Yasumoto, "Rigorous analysis of E-/H-plane junctions in rectangular waveguides using Fourier transform technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 273-292, 1999.
11. Wessel, W., T. Sieverding, and F. Arndt, "Mode-matching analysis of general waveguide multiport junctions," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., 1273-1276, 1999.
12. Das, S., A. Chakrabarty, and A. Chakraborty, "Characteristics of an offset longitudinal/transverse slot coupled crossed waveguide junction using multiple cavity modeling technique considering the TE00 mode at the slot aperture," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 297-316, 2007.
13. Panda, D. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. R. Choudhury, "Analysis of co-channel interference at waveguide joints using multiple cavity modeling technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 91-98, 2008.
14. Arcioni, P., M. Bozzi, M. Bressan, G. Conciauro, and L. Perregrini, "Frequency/time-domain modeling of 3-D waveguide structures by a BI-RME approach," Int. J. Numer. Model. --- Electron. Netw. Device Fields, Vol. 15, 3-21, 2002.
15. Gerini, G., M. Guglielmi, and G. Lastoria, "Efficient integral equation formulations for the computation of the multimode admittance or impedance matrix of planar waveguide junctions," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., Vol. 3, 1747-1750, 1998.
16. Gimeno, B. and M. Guglielmi, "Multimode equivalent network representation for junctions between coaxial and circular waveguides," Int. J. Microw. Millimet.-Wave Comput.-Aided Eng., Vol. 7, No. 2, 180-194, 1997.
17. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical unctions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, Dover, New York, 1964.
18. Montgomery, C. G., R. H. Dicke, and E. M. Purcell, Principles of Microwave Circuits, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1987.