A novel Competitive Algorithm of Simulating Natural Tree Growth is presented in this paper. It searches from a simple status to complex ones and is characterized by quick convergence. The algorithm has been used to design a novel tree-shaped antenna which has an appreciably larger gain of 2\,dBi more than traditional dipole antenna with a reflector of the same size. A prototype antenna has been fabricated and tested. A good agreement between the calculated and measured results verifies the feasibility of the algorithm.
2. Santarelli, S. and T. L. Yu, "Military antenna design using simple and competent genetic algorithms," Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol. 43, No. 9-10, 990-1022, 2006.
3. Sathi, V., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Optimization of circular ring microstrip antenna using genetic algorithm," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 29, No. 10, 897-905, 2008.
4. Abdelaziz, A. A. and H. A. Kamal, "Sector synthesis of antenna array using genetic algorithm," Frequenz, Vol. 62, No. 1, 12-15, 2008.
5. Weile, D. S. and E. Michielssen, "The control of adaptive antenna arrays with genetic algorithms using dominance and diploidy," EEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 10, 1424-1433, 2001.
6. Mani, V. V. and R. Bose, "Genetic algorithm based smart antenna design for UWB beamforming," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, ICUWB, 442-446, 2008.
7. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H. Werner, "A simultaneous parameter adaptation scheme for genetic algorithms with application to phased array synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 356-371, 2005.
8. Xu, Z., H. Li, Q.-Z. Liu, and J.-Y. Li, "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 75-90, 2008.
9. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase only synthesis of dual-beam pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007.
10. Sijher, T. S. and A. A. Kishk, "Antenna modeling by infinitesimal dipoles using genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 225-254, 2005.
11. Guo, G. W. and K. M. Huang, "Competition algorithm of natural tree growth and its application in curve fitting," J. Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 4, No. 7-8, 1301-1304, 2007.
12. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas, 3rd Ed., 277-281, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2003.