This work presents a novel design for high-impedance surface (HIS) embedded dielectric resonator (DR) structures to efficiently control bandwidth of suppressing simultaneous switching noise (SSN) in high speed digital printed circuit boards (PCBs). The proposed structure is designed by periodically embedding high dielectric constant materials into the substrate between a continuous power plane and a middle patch. A conventional HIS structure has only one resonance frequency to produce stopband while the proposed structure has two resonances to widen the suppression bandwidth. The -30 dB stopband of the proposed structure is about two times wider than that of a conventional HIS structure. The excellent SSN suppression behavior was verified by measurements and simulations.
2. Wu, T. L., Y. H. Lin, T. K. Wang, C. C. Wang, and S. T. Chen, "Electromagnetic bandgap power/ground planes for wideband suppression of ground bounce noise and radiated emission in high-speed circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2935-2942, Sep. 2005.
3. Qin, J. and O. M. Ramahi, "Ultra-wideband mitigation of simultaneous switching noise using novel planar electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 9, 487-489, Sep. 2006.
4. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.
5. Rogers, S. D., "Electromagnetic-bandgap layers for broad-band suppression of TEM modes in power planes," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2495-2505, Aug. 2005.
6. Kamgaing, T. and O. M. Ramahi, "Inductance-enhanced high-impedance surfaces for broadband simultaneous switching noise mitigation in power planes," Proceedings, IEEE International Microwave Symposium, 2165-2168, Philadelphia, PA, June 8-13, 2003.
7. Shahparnia, S. and O. M. Ramahi, "A simple and effective model for electromagnetic bandgap structures embedded in printed circuit boards," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 621-623, Oct. 2005.
8. Shahparnia, S. and O. M. Ramahi, "Simultaneous switching noise mitigation in PCB using cascaded high-impedance surfaces," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 2, 98-100, Jan. 2004.
9. Zhang, M. S., Y. S. Li, C. Jia, L. P. Li, and J. Pan, "A double-surface electromagnetic bandgap structure with one surface embedded in power plane for ultra-wideband SSN suppression ," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 10, 706-708, Oct. 2007.
10. Park, J. A., C. W. Lu, K. M. Chua, L. L. Wai, J. Lee, and J. Kim, "Double-stacked EBG structure for wideband suppression of simultaneous switching noise in LTCC-based SiP applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 9, 481-483, Sep. 2006.
11. Wu, T. L. and S. T. Chen, "A photonic crystal power/ground layer for eliminating simultaneously switching noise in high-speed circuit," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 8, 3398-3406, Aug. 2006.
12. Chang, C.-S., D.-B. Lin, K.-C. Hung, I.-T. Tang, and M.-P. Houng, "Simultaneous switching noise mitigation capability with low parasitic effect using aperoidic high-impedance surface structure ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letter, Vol. 4, 149-158, 2008.
13. Chang, C.-S., M.-P. Houng, N.-F. Wang, and L.-S. Chen, "An embedded isolation moat structures with stopband and low parasitic effect for elimination simultaneous switching noise," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letter, Vol. 6, 91-98, 2009.