In this paper, a method to broaden the beamwidths of a crossed dipole antenna is proposed. By introducing four parasitic strips around the crossed dipole antenna, the beamwidths of the crossed dipole antenna in the vertical plane are broadened effectively, making the patterns uniform over a wide frequency band. An L-band prototype, operating in the frequency range from 1.1 GHz to 1.6 GHz, is fabricated and tested. The simulated and measured results show that the beamwidths at lower frequencies are broadened and uniform radiation patterns over the whole operating frequency band are obtained, making the crossed dipole suitable for wideband marine GPS (Global Positioning System) applications.
2. Florian, P. and D. Loffler W. Wiesbeck, A broadband, ship based, electronically steered L-band SATCOM antenna, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 456-459, Jun. 22-27, 2003.
3. Mall, L. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Simple, small antenna terminal for maritime satellite communications," Electronic Letters, Vol. 40, No. 11, 2004.
4. Panahi, S. S., A. Manuel, and S. Ventosa, "Stability and power consumption tests for time base selection of an ocean bottom seismometer (OBS)," 49th IEEE International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 2, 323-326, Aug. 2006.
5. Gaer, M. C., R. P. Gilbert, and Y. S. Xu, "Analytical methods for acoustic seabed exploration," Challenges of Our Changing Global Environment Conference Proceedings IEEE, Vol. 1, 214-220, Oct. 1995.
6. Kuga, Y., J. Cha, and J. A. Ritcey, "Mechanically steerable antennas using dielectric phase shifters," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 161-164.
7. Geissler, M., F. Woetzel, M. Bottcher, S. Korthoff, A. Lauer, M. Eube, and R. Gieron, Innovative phased array antenna for maritime satellite communications, 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 735-739, Mar. 2009.
8. Milligan, T. A., Modern Antenna Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2005.
9. Yin, W. Y. and L. W. Li, "Radiation patterns of a dipole antenna array on bianisotropic substrates with a soft- and hard-surface: The clari¯cation of the continuous magnetic group of symmetry," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, No. 9, 1173-1189, 1999.
10. Chen, X. and K. Huang, "Wideband properties of fractal bowtie dipoles," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1511-1518, 2006.
11. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, J. F. Li, and J. L. Guo, "A swallow-tailed wideband planar monopole antenna with semi-elliptical base," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1257-1264, 2007.
12. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 861-871, 2006.
13. Anagnostou, D. E., G. Zheng, S. E. Barbin, M. T. Chryssomallis, J. Papapolymerou, and C. G. Christodoulou, An X-band reconfigurable planar dipole antenna, IEEE MTT International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conf., 654-656.
14. Scire-Scappuzzo, F. and S. N. Makarov, "A low-multipath wideband GPS antenna with cutoff or non-cutoff corrugated ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 33-46, Jan. 2009.
15. Lange, J., "Interdigitated stripline quadrature hybrid," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 17, No. 12, 1150-1151, Dec. 1969.
16. Andrews, D. P. and C. S. Aitchison, "Wide-band lumped element quadrature 3-dB couplers in microstrip," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2424-2431, Dec. 2000.
17. HFSS: High Frequency Structure Simulator V. 11 based on the Finite Element Method, Ansoft Corporation.
18. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, 2006.
19. Li, B., K.-J. Lee, H.-T. Chou, and W. Gu, "A polarization compensation approach utilizing a paraboloid photonic-crystal structure for crossed-dipole excited reflector antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 393-408, 2008.
20. Joardar, S. and A. B. Bhattacharya, "Uniform gain power-spectrum antenna-pattern theorem and its possible applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 97-110, 2007.
21. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and . Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.