A compact ultra-wideband (UWB) planar monopole antenna is proposed. Multiple trapezoids and a semicircle are connected to form the patch of the monopole. The compact antenna not only has low return loss, but also has omni-directional radiation pattern over the ultra-wide bandwidth. Both the simulated and measured results are given and they are in reasonable agreement. The group delay, which is an indication of linearity between two proposed antennas, is also good. Parametric analysis on the patch shape has been performed to give some helpful design information.
2. Cho, Y. J., et al., "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, 2006.
3. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A small wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 703-705, 2005.
4. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, 1998.
5. Chen, Z. N. and M. Y. W. Chia, "Impedance characteristics of trapezoidal planar monopole antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 27, No. 2, 120-122, 2000.
6. Qu, S. W. and C.-L. Ruan, "Effect of round corners on bowtie antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 179-195, 2006.
7. Yang, X.-S., K. F. Man, S. H. Yeung, and B.-Z. Wang, "Planar monopole ultra-wide band antenna optimized by jumping genes genetic algorithm," 2008 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology, 2008.