In this paper, we present a modified semi-elliptical monopole antenna with a two-branch feed line and dual band-notched filter structure for UWB applications. By adjusting the parameters of the proposed antenna an UWB impedance bandwidth with a very good impedance matching can be achieved. The designed antenna has a small size of 20 mm × 20 mm and operates over the frequency band between 2.7 to 11 GHz, rejecting the undesired frequency bands from 3.3 to 3.8 GHz and 5.1 to 5.85 GHz.
2. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A small wideband microstrip fed monopole antenna," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 10, 703-705, 2005.
3. Verbiest, J. R. and G. A. Vandenbosch, "A novel small-size printed tapered monopole antenna for UWB WBAN," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 377-379, 2006.
4. Hsu, C., "Planar multilateral disc monopole antenna for ultrawideband applications," Microwave Opt. Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 5, 2007.
5. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 766-768, 2005.
6. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. Lee, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 5, 2006.
7., Ansoft High-frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Ansoft Corporation, Pittsburgh, 2004.
8. Hahn, R. F. and J. G. Fikioris, "Impedance and radiation pattern of antennas above flat discs," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 21, No. 1, 97, 1973.
9. Yoon, H. K., H. R. Kim, K. H. Chang, Y. J. Yoon, and Y. Kim, "A study on the UWB antenna with band-rejection characteristic," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, Vol. 2, 1784-1787, 2004.
10. Kim, K. H. and S. O. Park, "Analysis of the small band-rejected antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2006.
11. Kerkhoff, A. and H. Ling, "A parametric study of band-notched uwb planar monopole antennas," IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat. Monterey, 2004.
12. Zhou, H.-J., Q.-Z. Liu, Y.-Z. Yin, and W. B. Wei, "Study of the band-notch function for swallow-tailed planar monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 55-65, 2007.
13. Wong, K. L., C. H. Wu, and S. W. Su, "Ultrawide-band square planar metal-plate monopole antenna with a trident-shaped feeding strip," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 4, 2005.