In this work, we analyse the frequency response of microstrip lines coupled by complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs) etched on the ground plane supporting electroinductive waves (EIWs). The single-particle configurations demonstrate the principle of operation whose bandwidths reach 67% of the central frequency. A double configuration is afterwards investigated as a further improvement of the filtering response, such as the level of the spurious lower frequency band. Finally, an ultimate prototype comprising different CSRRs along the access line, together with the aforementioned EIW-coupling is proposed for filtering undesired higher bands. Experimental results confirm numerical analysis.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
3. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, M. Beruete, R. Marqués, F. Martín, and M. Sorolla, "Babinet principle applied to metasurface and metamaterial design," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 12, 197491-1-197491-4, 2004.
4. Marqués, R., F. Martín, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design, and Microwave Applications, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2008.
5. Jarauta, E., M. A. G. Laso, T. Lopetegi, F. Falcone, M. Beruete, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, I. Gil, J. García-García, J. A. Marcotegui, F. Martín, R. Marqués, and M. Sorolla, "Novel microstrip backward coupler with metamaterial cells for fully planar fabrication techniques," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 7, 1205-1209, 2006.
6. Navarro-Cía, M., F. Falcone, M. Beruete, I. Arnedo, J. Illescas, J. A. Marcotegui, M. A. G. Laso, and T. Lopetegi, "Left-handed behaviour in a microstrip line loaded with squared split-ring resonators and an EBG pattern," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 11, 2689-2692, 2007.
7. Beruete, M., F. Falcone, M. J. Freire, R. Marqés, and J. D. Baena, "Electroinductive waves in chains of complementary metamaterial elements," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, No. 8, 083503-1-083503-3, 2006.
8. Navarro-Cía, M., M. Beruete, S. Agrafiotis, F. Falcone, M. Sorolla, and S. A. Maier, "Broadband spoof plasmons and subwavelength electromagnetic energy confinement on ultrathin metafilms," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 20, 18184-18195, 2009.
9. Martin, F., F. Falcone, J. Bonache, R. Marqués, and M. Sorolla, "Miniaturized coplanar waveguide stop band filters based on multiple tuned split ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Comp. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 12, 511-513, 2003.