In this paper, a novel dual-band rectangular slot antenna for wireless local area network (WLAN) applications in IEEE 802.11b/g/a systems is presented. The proposed antenna, fed by a 50Ω microstrip line, has size of 32 mm×28 mm×1.6 mm. By introducing a pair of U-shaped strips, the proposed antenna can generate two separate impedance bandwidths. The prototype of the proposed antenna has been successfully constructed and tested. The low-band resonant frequency is located at about 2.4 GHz, with -10 dB impedance bandwidth from about 2.3 to 2.5 GHz. The high-band resonant frequency is located at about 5.7 GHz, with -10 dB impedance bandwidth from about 4.9 to 6.0 GHz. In addition, the measured results show good radiation characteristics at the two operating bands, proving the dualband operation of the proposed antenna.
2. Lin, S. Y. and K. L. Wong, "A dual-frequency microstrip-line-fed printed slot antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 28, 373-375, 2001.
3. Morioka, T., S. Araki, and K. Hirasawa, "Slot antenna with parasitic element for dual band operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 2093-2094, 1997.
4. Wang, C. J. and W. T. Tsai, "A stair-shaped slot antenna for the triple-band WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 39, 370-372, 2003.
5. Liu, W. C., "Broadband dual-frequency meandered CPW-fed monopole antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 1319-1320, 2004.
6. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 861-871, 2006.
7. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005.
8. Li, J. Y., J. L. Guo, Y. B. Gan, and Q. Z. Liu, "The tri-band performance of sleeve dipole antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 15, 2081-2092, 2005.