A novel circularly polarized microstrip rectenna operating on C-band with low profile is proposed. The input and output match networks of the rectifying circuit are realized by λ/4 microstrip lines and open stubs with the harmonics being inhibited. The circularly polarized receiving antenna is a truncated-corner square patch fed by microstrip line with DGS (Defect Ground Structure) for suppressing high order harmonics further. The voltage of 4.34V on the load of 298 Ω is measured and the overall RF-DC conversion efficiency of 68.4% is obtained. This kind of rectenna can be extended to large arrays for wireless power transmission applications.
2. Brown, W. C., "Experiments in the transportation of energy by microwave beam," IRE International Convention Record, Vol. 12, No. 2, 8-17, 1964.
3. Brown, W. C., "An experimental low power density rectenna," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 197-200, 1991.
4. Mohammod, A., G. Yang, and R. Dougal, "A new circularly polarized rectenna for wireless power transmission and data communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 4, 205-208, 2005.
5. Lim, S., K. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Adaptive power controllable retrodirective array system for wireless sensor server applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3735-3743, 2005.
6. Berndie, S. and K. Chang, "5.8-GHz circularly polarized dual-rhombic-loop traveling-wave rectifying antenna for low power-density wireless power transmission application," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1548-1553, 2003.
7. Ren, Y.-J. and K. Chang, "5.8-GHz circularly polarized dual-diode rectenna and rectenna array for microwave power transmission," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1-8, 2006.
8. Ren, Y.-J., M. F. Farooqui, and K. Chang, "A compact dual-frequency rectifying antenna with high-orders harmonic-rejection," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 7, 2110-2113, July 2007.
9. Yang, X.-X., J.-S. Xu, D.-M. Xu, and C.-L. Xu, "X-band circularly polarized rectennas for microwave power transmission applications," Journal of Electronics, Vol. 25, No. 3, 389-393, 2008.