In this article, a novel wideband planar monopole antenna for applications in 2.4 GHz WLAN and UWB bands is presented and investigated. The proposed antenna is composed of a gourd-like radiation element fed by a 50 Ohm microstrip line and a step-shaped ground plane. A pair of slot lines is etched symmetrically on the ground plane to obtain the 5 GHz band-notched characteristic, and the notched band can be tuned. The proposed antenna is successfully simulated, designed, and measured. The measured results agree reasonably with the simulated ones. According to the measured results, the proposed antenna yields a wide bandwidth ranging from 2.2 to 11 GHz for VSWR less than 2, except the notched band of 5.1-6.2 GHz for 5 GHz WLAN. Moreover, it exhibits nearly omnidirectional radiation patterns, stable gain, and small group delay variation across the operation band, which meets the requirements of 2.4 GHz WLAN and UWB applications.
2. Habib, M. A., M. Nedil, A. Djaiz, and T. A. Denidni, "UWB binomial curved monopole with binomial curved ground plane," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2308-2313, 2009.
3. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3--12 GHz UWB planer triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
4. Wu, Q., R.-H. Jin, J.-P. Geng, and M. Ding, "Printed omni-directional UWB monopole antenna with very compact size," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, 896-899, 2008.
5. Li, P., L.-C. Ma, and J.-S. Li, "A hexagonal ultra-wideband antenna with notched band," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2917-2921, 2009.
6. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notch frequency uwb antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 337-348, 2008.
7. Ren, W., Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Novel planar monopole UWB antenna with 5-GHz band notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1645-1652, 2007.
8. Jiang, J.-B., X. Zhang, Z.-H. Yan, Y. Song, and W. Wu, "Band-notched uwb printed antenna with an inverted C-slotted ground," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 2015-2022, 2008.
9. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5 GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, 1453-1460, 2006.
10. Eldek, A. A., "A small ultra-wideband planar tap monopole antenna with slit, tapered transition, and notched ground plane," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 1650-1654, 2006.
11. Chu, Q.-X. and Y.-Y. Yang, "A compact ultra-wideband antenna with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antenna and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, Dec. 2008.