The frequency responses of two widely used active inductor topologies are analyzed and compared using a generalized circuit model for the active devices in the circuits. A very wideband active inductor in CMOS was subsequently fabricated and tested and the inductor exhibits a measured self-resonant frequency of 9.7 GHz.
2. Geiger, R. L. and E. Sanchez-Sinencio, "Active filter design using operational transconductance amplifiers: A tutorial," IEEE Circuits and Devices Magazine, Vol. 1, No. 2, 20-32, Mar. 1985.
3. Thanachayanont, A. and A. Payne, "VHF CMOS integrated active inductor," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 11, 999-1000, 1996.
4. Zheng, Y. and C. E. Saavedra, "Feedforward-regulated cascode OTA for gigahertz applications," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3373-3382, Dec. 2008.
5. Hsieh, H. H., Y. T. Liao, and L. H. Lu, "A compact quadrature hybrid MMIC using CMOS active inductors," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1098-1104, Jun. 2007.
6. Zheng, Y. and C. E. Saavedra, A microwave OTA using a feedforward-regulated cascode topology, IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1887-1890, New Orleans, USA, May 2007.
7. Mascarenhas, G., J. Caldinhas Vaz, and J. Costa Freire, Voltage controlled phase shifters on cmos technology, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 19-22, Dec. 2006.
8. Seo, S., N. Ryu, H. Choi, and Y. Jeong, Novel high-Q inductor using active inductor structure and feedback parallel resonance circuit, IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symp., 467-470, Honolulu, Hawaii, Jun. 2007.