To predict the three-dimensional radar cross section (RCS) pattern of an arbitrary shaped perfectly electric conductor objects in both a broad frequency band and angular domains simultaneously, the method of moments (MoM) combined with the Chebyshev polynomial approximation is presented. The induced current is expanded by a bivariate Chebyshev series. Using this function, the induced current can be obtained at any frequency and angle within the desired frequency band and angular domains. Numerical results show that the proposed method is found to be superior in terms of the CPU time to obtain the three-dimensional RCS pattern compared with the direct solution by MoM repeating the calculations at each frequency and angle. Good agreement between the presented method and the direct MoM is observed.
2. Zou, Y., Q. Liu, and J. Guo, "Fast analysis of body-of-revolution radomes with method of moments," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1803-1817, 2007.
3. Hatamzadeh-Varmazyar, S., "A moment method simulation of electromagnetic scattering from conducting bodies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 99-119, 2008.
4. Essid, C., M. B. B. Salah, K. Kochlef, A. Samet, and A. B. Kouki, "Spatial-spectral formulation of method of moment for rigorous analysis of microstrip structures ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 17-26, 2009.
5. Danesfahani, R., S. Hatamzadeh-Varmazyar, E. Babolian, and Z. Masouri, "Applying shannon wavelet basis functions to the method of moments for evaluating the radar cross section of the conducting and resistive surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 257-292, 2008.
6. Bogdanov, F. G., R. G. Jobava, A. L. Gheonjian, E. A. Yavolovskaya, N. G. Bondarenko, T. N. Injgia, and S. Frei, "Development and application of an enhanced MoM scheme with integrated generalized N-port networks ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 7, 135-148, 2009.
7. Cockrell, C. R. and F. B. Beck, "Asymptotic waveform evaluation (AWE) technique for frequency domain electromagnetic analysis," NASA Tech. Memo 110292, Nov. 1996.
8. Reddy, C. J. and M. D. Deshpande, "Application of AWE for RCS frequency response calculations using method of moments," NASA Contractor Rep. 4758, Oct. 1996.
9. Reddy, C. J., M. D. Deshpande, C. R. Cockrell, and F. B. Beck, "Fast RCS computation over a frequency band using method of moments in conjunction with asymptotic waveform evaluation technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 8, 1229-1233, 1998.
10. Erdemli, Y. E., J. Gong, C. J. Reddy, and J. L. Volakis, "Fast RCS pattern fill using AWE technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 11, 1752-1753, 1998.
11. Erdemli, Y. E., J. Gong, C. J. Reddy, and J. L. Volakis, "AWE technique in frequency domain electromagnetics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 359-378, 1999.
12. Mason, J. C. and D. C. Handscomb, Chebyshev Polynomials.
13. Murty, V. N., "Best approximation with Chebyshev polynomials," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., Vol. 8, 717-721, 1971.
14. Raedt, H. D., K. Michielsen, J. S. Kole, and M. T. Figge, "Solving the Maxwell equations by the Chebyshev method: A one-step finite-difierence time-domain algorithm ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 12, 3155-3160, 2003.
15. Tong, C. M., W. Hong, and N. C. Yuan, "Simultaneous extrapolation of RCS in both angular and frequency domains based on AWE technique ," Microwave optical Technology Letters, Vol. 32, No. 4, 290-293, 2002.
16. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 5, 409, May 1982.