A novel compact planar antenna with a frequency band-filter characteristic for UWB applications is proposed and investigated. Having a dual-Y-shaped slot on the patch, a frequency-notched characteristic at 5.2 GHz is obtained. The band-notched mechanism of the designed antenna is implemented and experimentally studied.The designed antenna satisfies the voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) requirement of less than 2.0 in the frequency band between 2.8 and 18.6 GHz while showing the band rejection performance in the frequency band from 5.0 to 5.6 GHz. This technique is suitable for creating ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with narrow frequency-notched characteristics.
2. Kiminami, K., A. Hirata, and T. Shiozawa, "Double-sided printed bow-tie antenna for UWB communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 152-153, 2004.
3. Lin, C., Y. C. Kan, L. C. Kuo, and H.-R. Chuang, "A planar triangular monopole antenna for UWB communication," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 624-626, 2005.
4. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 14, 2005.
5. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, Y. Z. Yin, and W. B. Wei, "Study of the band-notch function for swallow-tailed planar monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 55-65, 2007.
6. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A compact ultra-wideband microstrip antenna with multiple notches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 321-332, 2008.
7. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
8. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characterics of a novel notch frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 337-348, 2008.
9. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slots antennas FED by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
10. NaghshvarianJahromi, M., "Compact UWB bandnotch antenna with transmission-line-FED," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008.
11. Kueathaweekun, W., C. Benjangkaprasert, N. Anantrasirichai, and T.Wakabayashi, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with dual band-notch design using several parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 19, 1-20, 2010.
12. Shafieha, J. H., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Probing the feed line parameters in vivaldi notch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 237-252, 2008.
13. Ma, J., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-G. Zhou, and L. Zhao, "A new ultra-wideband microstrip-line FED antenna with 3.5/5.5 GHz dual band-notch function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 79-85, 2009.
14. Hsiao, P.-Y. and R.-M. Weng, "Compact open-loop UWB filter with notched band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 149-159, 2009.