In this paper, a directional slot antenna with parasitic patch and windowed superstrate is presented. Through this composition, high-gain property can easily be obtained by this proposed antenna. The proposed antenna has a measured impedance bandwidth of 2.41-2.49 GHz for S11<-10 dB, which can cover the 2.4-2.484 GHz frequency band of WLAN application. Simulated and measured results show that high-gain features up to 11.50 dBi across the corresponding impedance band are achieved. Details of the proposed slot antenna configurations and design procedures are given; the experimental results are also given and discussed.
2. Sharma, S. K., N. Jacob, and L. Shafai, "Low profile wide band slot antenna for wireless communications," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 390-393, 2002.
3. Sabri, H. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Two novel compact triple-band microstrip annular-ring slot antenna for PCS-1900 and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 87-98, 2008.
4. Gao, G.-P., M. Li, S.-F. Niu, X.-J. Li, B.-N. Li, and J.-S. Zhang, "Study of a novel wideband circular slot antenna having frequency band-notched function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 141-154, 2009.
5. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., P. Akkaraekthalin, S. Saleekaw, and M. Krairiksh, "Bidirectional multiband antenna with modified antenna with modified fractal slot fed by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009.
6. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
7. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Design of wideband triangle slot antennas with tuning stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 48, 233-248, 2004.
8. Eldesouki, E. M. A., K. F. A. Hussein, and A. M. El-Nadi, "Circular polarized arrays of cavity backed slot antennas for X-band satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 179-198, 2008.
9. Zheng, B. Y. and Z. X. Shen, "Effect of a finite ground plane on microstrip-fed cavity-backed slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 2, 862-865, 2005.
10. Leung, K. W. and K. Y. Chow, "Theory and experiment of the hemispherical cavity-backed slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 8, 1234-1241, 1998.
11. Li, Q., Z. X. Shen, and P. T. Teo, "Microstrip-fed cavity-backed slot antennas," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 4, 229-233, 2002.
12. Li, Q. and Z.-X. Shen, "An inverted microstrip-fed cavity-backed slot antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, 190-192, 2002.
13. Qu, S.-W., J.-L. Li, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Novel unidirectional slot antenna with a vertical wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 239-251, 2008.
14. Vallecchi, A. and G. B. Gentili, "Microstrip-fed slot antennas backed by a very thin cavity," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 1, 247-250, 2007.
15. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, K.-F. Lee, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Microstrip line and CPW fed ultrawideband slot antennas with U-shaped tuning stub and reflector ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 163-182, 2006.
16. Rao, Q., T. A. Denidni, and R. H. Johnston, "A single-substrate microstrip-fed slot antenna array with reduced back radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 265-268, 2004.
17. Rao, Q., T. A. Denidni, and R. H. Johnston, "A new aperture coupled microstrip slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 9, 2818-2826, 2005.
18. Tan, W. H., et al., "A gain-enhanced microstrip-fed cavity-backed slot antenna," IEEE Asian Pacific Microwave Conference Suzhou, No. 1-5, 789-792, 2005.
19. Ma, H. Q., Q.-X. Chu, and Q. Zhang, "High gain cavity-backed slot antenna with a windowed metallic superstrate," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 12, 3114-3118, 2008.
20. Zhang, Q.-Y. and Q.-X. Chu, "Triple-band cavity-backed Z-like slot antenna for WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2296-2301, 2009.