The formation process of antenna mode scattering is analyzed, and a new prediction method to calculate the antenna mode scattering is proposed. Since the antenna mode scattering is essentially the reradiation of reflected energy, this reflected energy comes from the incident wave received by the antenna and reflects on the mismatched point of the feed network. Thus the calculation of the antenna mode scattering can be divided into three steps: 1. calculation of the antenna received energy; 2. calculation of the reflected energy from the feed network; 3. reradiation of this reflected energy. The numerical results of antenna mode scattering from a patch antenna and a dipole array are proposed to verify this approach.
2. Pozar, D. M., "Radiation and scattering from a microstrip patch on a uniaxial substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, 613-621, 1987.
3. Newman, R. H., "Scattering from a microstrip patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, 245-251, 1987.
4. Wan, J. X., C. H. Liang, and J. Lei, "A fast analysis of scattering from microstrip antennas over a wide band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 187-208, 2005.
5. Hu, Y. Y., "Back-scattering cross section of a central-loaded antenna," IRE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 6, 140-148, 1985.
6. Ostadzadeh, S. R., M. Tayarani, and M. Soleimani, "A fuzzy model for computing back-scattering response from linearly loaded dipole antenna in the frequency domain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 229-242, 2008.
7. Yuan, H.-W., S.-X. Gong, and W.-T. Wang, "New method for analysis of scattering the large array antenna," Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 37, 113-118, 2010.
8. Midgley, D., "A theory of receiving aerials applied to the reradiation of an electromagnetic horn," Proc. IEE, Vol. 108, 645-650, 1961.
9. Sukharevsky, O. I. and V. A. Vasilets, "Scattering of reflector antenna with conic dielectric radome," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 159-169, 2008.
10. Jenn, D. C. and S. Lee, "Inband scattering from arrays with series feed networks," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 43, 867-873, 1995.
11. Jenn, D. C. and V. Flokas, "In-band scattering from arrays with parallel feed networks," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, 172-178, 1996.
12. Liu, Y., D.-M. Fu, and S.-X. Gong, "A novel model for analyzing the radar cross section of microstrip antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, 1303-1310, 2003.
13. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, 409-418, 1982.
14. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1997.
15. Wang, W.-T., S.-X. Gong, X. Wang, Y. Guan, and W. Jiang, "Differential evolutiosn algorithm and method of moments for the design of Low-RCS antenna," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 295-298, 2010.
16. Wang, W.-T., S.-X. Gong, Y.-J. Zhang, F.-T. Zha, and J. Ling, "Low RCS dipole array synthesis based on MoM-PSO hybrid algorithm," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 119-132, 2009.