In this paper, right handed circular polarization (RHCP), left handed circular polarization (LHCP), and linear polarization (LP) reconfigurable antenna is proposed by reconfigured fabrication. The proposed antenna comprising of two square patches, a T-stripline, and a finite ground plane is designed for HiperLAN2 5 GHz operation. The patches are symmetrically placed along the vertical portion of T-strip and coupling fed by the strip. The planar structure is in LP sense while CP sense is achieved as the structure bent. For the bent structure, the vertical and horizontal portions of T-strip not only respectively feed the coplanar patch but also provide a 90° phase difference between the feeds. Two orthogonal E-fields with quadrature are excited to achieve CP sense. Moreover, the switching between RHCP and LHCP is easily achieved by folding the structure along opposite vertical edge of T-strip. Instead of electrically controlling switches, the polarization reconfiguration can be manually constructed.
2. Klaus, F., RFID Handbook, Wiley, New York, 2003.
3. Lee, C., W. K. Han, I. Park, and H. Choo, "Design of a double-layered spiral antenna for radio frequency identification applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 1, 121-127, 2010.
4. Row, J. S. and S. W. Wu, "Circularly-polarized wide slot antenna loaded with a parasitic patch," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 56, 2826-2832, 2008.
5. Huang, C. Y., J. Y. Wu, and K. L. Wong, "Cross-slot-coupled microstrip antenna and dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 47, 605-609, 1999.
6. Huang, J., "A technique for and array to generate circular polarization with linearly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 34, 1113-1124, 1986.
7. Lau, P.-Y., K. K.-O. Yung, and E. K.-N. Yung, "A low cost printed CP patch antenna for RFID smart bookshelf in library," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1583-1589, May 2010.
8. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and J. K. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009.
9. Li, J. F., B. H. Sun, H. J. Zhou, and Q. Z. Liu, "Miniaturized circularly-polarized antenna using tapered meander-line structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 321-328, 2008.
10. Aissat, H., L. Cirio, M. Grzeskowiak, J. M. Laheurte, and O. Picon, "Reconfigurable circularly polarized antenna for short-range communication systems," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, 2856-2863, 2006.
11. Yoon, W. S., S. M. Han, J. W Baik, S. Pyo, J. Lee, and Y. S Kim, "Crossed dipole antenna with switchable circular polarisation sense," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, 717-718, 2009.
12. Wei, W. B., Q. Z. Liu, Y. Z. Yin, and H. J. Zhou, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 63-68, 2007.
13. Wan, K. C. and Q. Xue, "A novel reconfigurable wideband circularly polarized transmitter implemented by indirect-controlled-phased-source," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propaga Lett., Vol. 6, 604-607, 2007.
14. Jung, T. J., I. J. Hyun, J. M. Kim, C. W. Baek, and S. Lim, "Polarization reconfigurable antenna on RF-MEMS packaging platform," Asia Pacific Microwave Conf., 579-582, 2009.
15. Chen, R. H. and J. S. Row, "Single-fed microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., 922-826, 2008.