A compact balanced frequency MMIC doubler using compensated capacitive line in Marchand balun is proposed. With multi-coupled lines technology, the balun is applied to a balanced doubler successfully. Compared with the conventional Marchand balun, more than 55% reduction in the length of coupled line can be achieved. Implemented by a PHEMT process, the compact monolithic balanced frequency doubler with better performance can be obtained. An operation bandwidth from 20 to 44 GHz with the best conversion loss of 8.4 dB at 25GHz can be achieved. In addition, the fundamental frequency suppression is better than 28.9 dB, and the chip dimension is as small as 0.41 × 0.68 mm2.
2. Lin, C. M., C. C. Su, S. H. Hung, and Y. H. Wang, "A compact balun based on microstrip EBG cell and interdigital capacitor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 111-118, 2009.
3. Lin, C. S., P. S. Wu, M. C. Yeh, J. S. Fu, H. Y. Chang, K. Y. Lin, and H. Wang, "Analysis of multiconductor coupled-line Marchand baluns for miniature MMIC design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1190-1199, Jun. 2007.
4. Maas, S. A. and Y. Ryu, "A broadband, planar, monolithic resistive frequency doubler," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., 443-446, 1994.
5. Piernas, B., H. Hayashi, K. Nishikawa, K Kamogawa, and T. Nakagawa, "A broadband and miniatures V-band PHEMT frequency doubler," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 10, 276-278, Jul. 2000.
6. Campos-Roca, Y., L. Verweyen, M. Fernandez-Barciela, W. Bischof, M. C. Curras-Francos, E. Sanchez, A. Hulsmann, and M. Schlechtweg, "38/76 GHz PHEMT MMIC balance frequency doublers in coplanar technology," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 10, No. 11, 484-487, Nov. 2000.
7. Nishikawa, K., B. Piernas, T. Nakagawa, and K. Araki, "Miniaturized and broadband V-band balanced frequency doubler for highly integrated 3-D MMIC," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., Vol. 1, 351-354, Jun. 2002.
8. Marchand, N., "Transmission line conversion transformers," Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 12, 142-145, Dec. 1944.
9. Liu, Z. and R. M. Weikle, "A 180°hybrid based on interdigitally coupled asymmetrical artificial transmission lines," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1555-1558, Jun. 2006.
10. Fujii, T. and I. Ohta, "Size-reduction of coupled-microstrip 3 dB forward couplers by loading with periodic shunt capacitive stubs," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1235-1238, Jun. 2005.
11. Mongia, R., I. Bahl, and P. Bharti, RF and Microwave Coupled-line Circuits, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1999.
12. Weng, C. C., Z. M. Tsai, and H. Wang, "A K-band miniature, broadband, high output power HBT MMIC balanced doubler with integrated balun," IEEE Euro. Microw. Conf. Dig., Vol. 3, 1-3, Oct. 2005.