A novel tri-band printed monopole antenna with an etched ∩-shaped slot and a parasitic ring resonator is proposed for satisfying wireless local area network (WLAN) and worldwide interoperability for microwave access (WiMAX) applications simultaneously. The proposed antenna comprises a rectangular radiation patch with an arc-shaped edge and an embedded ∩-shaped slot on the top side and a parasitic ring resonator on the opposite side. The measured results show that the impedance bandwidths of the proposed antenna, defined by voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR)≤1.5, are 350 MHz (2370--2720 MHz), 680 MHz (3390--4070 MHz) and 1080 MHz (4920--6000 MHz), which cover the required band- widths for both WLAN (2400--2480 MHz, 5150--5350 MHz, and 5725--5825 MHz) and WiMAX (2500--2690 MHz, 3400--3690 MHz, 5250--5850 MHz) applications. Furthermore, good monopole-like radiation characteristics with moderate peak gains are obtained over the operating bands.
2. Chien, Y. P., T. S. Horng, W. S. Chen, and H. H. Chien, "Dual wideband printed monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 149-151, 2007.
3. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "Compact triple band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 811-813, 2009.
4. Song, Y., Y. C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F. S. Zhang, "Multiband CPW-fed triangle-shaped monopole antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 329-336, 2007.
5. Si, L. M. and X. Lv, "CPW-fed multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008.
6. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "A novel triple band printed antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 2481-2485, 2009.
7. Zuo, S. L., Y. Z. Yin, and Z. Y. Zhang, "A coupling-fed multiband antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 1283-1286, 2010.
8. Zhang, Z. Y., G. Fu, and S. L. Zuo, "A compact printed monopole antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 857-861, 2010.
9. Chen, W. S. and Y. H. Yu, "Compact design of T-type monopole antenna with asymmetrical ground plane for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 515-519, 2008.
10. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
11. Chaimool, S. and K. L. Chung, "CPW-fed mirrored-L monopole antenna with distinct triple bands for Wi-Fi and WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 18, 928-929, 2009.
12. Kim, D. Z., W. I. Son, W. G. Lim, H. L. Lee, and J. W. Yu, "Integrated planar monopole antenna with microstrip resonators having band-notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on ntennas and Propagation, 2010.