This paper presents the design and results of a compact Ultra-wideband (UWB) monopole antenna with a dual band-notched characteristic. The antenna consists of a semi-elliptical radiator with two meandered slots on it to produce a deep notch at 3.5 GHz (the center of WiMax band) and another notch at 5.25 GHz (the center of the lower WLAN band). The antenna is fabricated and measured, and the measured impedance bandwidth defined by VSWR<2 is 8.5 GHz (2.5--11 GHz), with the dual notched bands of 3.3--3.7 GHz and 5.12--5.37 GHz are obtained. The computer simulation results of the radiation pattern and peak gain of the antenna also agree well with measurements.
2. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
3. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
4. Weng, Y. F., W. J. Lu, S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band-notched characteristic for WLAN band using meandered ground stubs," Antennas & Propagation Conference, LAPC, 757-760, Loughborough, 2009.
5. Chen, D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
6. Chen, Y. L. and Y. G. Zhou, "Design of a filter-antenna subsystem for UWB communications," 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, 593-595, 2009.
7. Sadat, S., M. Houshmand, and M. Roshandel, "Design of a microstrip square-ring slot antenna filled by an H-shape slot for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 191-198, 2007.
8. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
doi: --- Either first page or author must be supplied.