A compact microstrip-line-fed antenna designed by inserting two pairs of strips into a rectangular slot for achieving triple-band operation is proposed. The antenna, which occupies a small size of only 40×32×1.6 mm3, utilizes inserted strips to generate dual band-notched characteristics so that three operating bands are able to be achieved, which range from 2.2 to 2.7, 3.07 to 3.86, and 5.13 to 6.23 GHz, sufficiently covering both the 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN and 2.5/3.5/5.5 GHz WiMAX bands. In addition, the measured results show good monopole-like radiation patterns and stable antenna gains across the three operating bands.
2. Djaiz, A., M. A. Habib, M. Nedil, and T. A. Denidni, "Compact CPW-fed matched dual-band monopole antenna using spiral resonators," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 1425-1427, 2010.
3. Liu, H.-W., C.-H. Ku, and C.-F. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 240-243, 2010.
4. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
5. Zhu, J. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Dual-band meta metamaterial-inspired small monopole antenna for WiFi applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 1104-1106, 2009.
6. Liu, C. S., C. N. Chiu, and S. M. Deng, "A compact Disc-slit monopole antenna for mobile devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 251-254, 2008.
7. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
8. Li, X., L. Yang, S. X. Gong, and Y. J. Yang, "Bidirectional high gain antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 99-106, 2009.
9. Xiong, J. P., L. Liu, Y. Z. Yin, J. Chen, and Q. Ma, "Dual-band back-to-back F-shaped antenna with elliptic conductor-backed plane for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8-9, 1140-1147, 2008.
10. Ye, L. H. and Q. X. Chu, "Compact dual-band wide band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 1228-1231, 2010.
11. Lee, B.-Y., W. S. Chen, and P. Y. Chang, "A compact microstrip-line-fed slot antenna for Wideband operation," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1884-1886, 2009.
12. Ryu, K.-S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band-notches for lower WLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 3942-3950, 2009.