This paper outlines typical issues in the design and fabrication of microstrip Wilkinson power dividers. As a practical solution, a modified Wilkinson divider configuration is proposed and designed for millimeter-wave antenna feeding networks. In this design, all microstrip branches and the resistive strip exhibit the same characteristic impedance. Probe measurements of Sparameters underline good matching, transmission and isolation characteristics of the proposed divider.
2. Lange, J., "Interdigitated stripline quadrature hybrid (correspondence)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 17, No. 12, 1150-1151, 1969.
3. Wilkinson, E. J., "An N-way hybrid power divider," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 8, No. 1, 116-118, 1960.
4. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
5. Boukari, B., D. Hammou, E. Moldovan, R. G. Bosisio, K. Wu, and S. O. Tatu, "MHMICs on ceramic substrate for advanced millimeter wave systems," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2009, MTT '09, 1025-1028, 2009.
6. Chang, C.-P., C.-C. Su, S.-H. Hung, Y.-H. Wang, and J.-H. Chen, "A 6 : 1 Unequal Wilkinson Power Divider with EBG CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, No. 8, 151-159, 2009.
7. Hammou, D., E. Moldovan, and S. O. Tatu, "Modeling and analysis of a novel V-band MHMIC six-port circuit," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 24, No. 10, 1419-1427, 2010.
8. Shamsinejad, S., M. Soleimani, and N. Komjani, "Novel miniaturized Wilkinson power divider for 3G mobile receivers," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 3, 9-16, 2008.
9. Ramesh, M., Y. I. P. KB, and P. Motorola, "Design formula for inset fed microstrip patch antenna," Journal of Microwaves and Optoelectronics, Vol. 3, No. 3, 5-10, 2003.
10. Peters, F. D. L., S. O. Tatu, and T. A. Denidni, "77 GHz microstrip antenna with gap coupled elements for impedance matching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 35-45, 2009.