A novel, short-circuited, flat-plate dipole antenna for WLAN operation in the 2.4 GHz band is presented. The dipole antenna is narrow (5 mm in width) and structured to be of an L shape to fit in corners of possible wireless communications devices. The open ends of the two dipole arms are folded and face each other, so as to achieve a compact structure, and short-circuited via a short-circuiting strip, making it possible for the antenna to be cost-effectively fabricated by stamping one single metal plate only. The antenna when unbent into a flat, rectangular structure has dimensions 5 mm×47 mm and can be is easily fed by using a 50-Ω mini-coaxial cable. Details of a design prototype are described and discussed.
2. Su, S. W., J. H. Chou, A. Chen, and L. Tai, "Compact patch antenna mountable above conducting plate for WLAN operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, 1130-1136, 2006.
3. Su, S. W. and J. H. Chou, "Compact coaxial-line-fed flat-plate dipole antenna for WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 420-422, 2008.
4. Chou, J. H. and S. W. Su, "Very-low-cost copper-wire antenna for 2.4-GHz WLAN operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 2107-2109, 2008.
5. Su, S. W. and F. S. Chang, "A bent, shorted, planar monopole antenna for 2.4 GHz WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 455-457, 2009.
6. Ansoft Corporation HFSS, available: http://www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss..
7. Ali, M. and G. J. Hayes, "Analysis of integrated inverted-F antennas for bluetooth applications," IEEE AP-S Conf. Antennas Propagat. for Wireless Communications, 21-24, Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, 2000.
8., "Antenna platform-level integration,", Ansoft Technical Library, Ansoft, LLC, 2008, available at http://www.ansoft.com/ie/Track1/Antenna%20Platform-Level%20 Integration.pdf.
9. CTIA Authorized Test Laboratory, CTIA, The Wireless Associa-tion, available at http://www.ctia.org/business resources/certification/test labs/.
10. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4 Ed., 16-19, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2007.