A Coplanar Wave guide (CPW) fed printed monopole antenna with reduced radiation hazard from a mobile handset is presented. The printed metal stripes in the back side of the monopole modify the far field pattern ideal for mobile handset. The antenna offers a bandwidth of 200 MHz when printed on a substrate of dielectric constant (εr) 4.4 and thickness 1.6 mm with an overall dimension of 42x31.7 mm2. Experimental and simulation studies of the antenna radiation characteristics of the proposed antenna are presented and discussed. A 20 dB reduction of radiated power in one quadrant of the radiation pattern offers a reduction of radiation towards the users head.
2. Wang, J. and O. Fujiwara, "Reduction of electromagnetic absorption in the human head for portable telephones by a ferrite sheet attachment," IEICE Transation Communications, Vol. 80, 1810-1815, 1997.
3. Rowley, J. T. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Perrmance of shorted microstrip patch antennas for mobile communication handset at 1800 MHz," IEEE Transaction in Antennas Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 815--822, 1999.
4. Wunk, M., W. Kolosowski, and M. Amamowicz, "Microstrip antennas on multilayer dielectric for mobile system communication," Proceeding 14th International Wroclaw Symposium on Electromagnet Compact, 346-350, Poland, 1998.
5. Sor, J., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Coplanar waveguide fed quasi yagi antenna," Electronic Letters, Vol. 36, 1-2, 2000.
6. Su, L. and H. Ling, "Design of a closely spaced folded yagi antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation, Vol. 5, 302-305, 2006.
7. Kwak, S. I., D.-U. Sim, and J. H. Kwon, "SAR reduction on mobile phone antenna using the EBG structures," Proceeding 38th European Microwave Conference, 1308-1311, The Netherlands, 2008.
8. Anguera, J., E. Martinez, C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Broad band dual frequency microstrip patch antenna with modified Sierpinski fractal geometry," IEEE Transaction in Antennas Propagation, Vol. 52, 66-73, 2004.