A compact 9-21 GHz monolithic image reject mixer (IRM) with a chip dimension of 0.9×0.74 mm2 has been designed and fabricated using a standard 0.18 μm CMOS technology. The compact configuration is composed of a 90°coupler for local oscillator (LO) and two doubly balanced ring mixers for mixing core. Particularly, a radio frequency (RF) dual balun with advanced intermediate frequency (IF) extraction technique can not only eliminate the use of power divider in IRM design, and simultaneously provide balanced signals for ring mixing, but also obtain high side band suppression without any additional IF low-pass filter. Moreover, the entire passive circuits are constructed by utilizing broad side coupling structure to achieve high-level integration further. From the measured results, the IRM exhibits a 19.4-22.4 dB conversion loss, a maximum image rejection ratio (IRR) of 34 dB, all port-to-port isolations better than 28 dB over RF frequency range of 9 to 21 GHz, and an input 1 dB compression power of 14 dBm.
2. Reynolds, S. K., B. A. Floyd, U. R. Pfei®er, T. Beukema, J. Grzyb, C. Haymes, B. Gaucher, and M. Soyuer, "A silicon 60-GHz receiver and transmitter chipset for broadband communications," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 12, 2820-2831, Dec. 2006.
3. Phan, A. T., C. W. Kim, C. Y. Cha, M. S. Kang, S. G. Lee, C. D. Su, and H. T. Kim, "A low noise image rejection down CMOS mixer," MWSCAS, Vol. 3, 327-330, Jul. 2004.
4. Razavi, B., RF Microelectronics, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1998.
5. Singhal, P. K., S. Basu, and Y.-H. Wang, "Integrated compact broad Ka-band sub-harmonic single sideband up-converter MMIC," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 8, 179-194, 2009.
6. Gunnarsson, S. E., D. Kuylenstierna, and H. Zirath, "Analysis and design of millimeter-wave FET-based image reject mixers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2065-2074, Oct. 2007.
7. Chiou, H.-K., W.-R. Lian, and T.-Y. Yang, "A miniature Q-band balanced sub-harmonically pumped image rejection mixer," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 6, 463-465, Jun. 2007.
8. Gavell, M., M. Ferndahl, S. E. Gunnarsson, M. Abbasi, and H. Zirath, "An image reject mixer for high-speed E-band (71--76, 81--86 GHz) wireless communication," Proc. IEEE CSIC Symp. Dig., 1-4, Oct. 2009.
9. Fujii, K. and H. Morkner, "A 6--30 GHz image-rejection distributed resistive MMIC mixer in a low cost surface mount package," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 37-40, Jun. 2005.
10. Passiopoulos, G. and K. Lamacraft, "A compact L-band LTCC mixer with high image rejection," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 249-252, Seattle, WA, 2002.
11. Mourant, J. M. and S. Jurgiel, "A broadband planar image reject mixer," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 1637-1640, May 1994.
12. Mongia, R., I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, RF and Microwave Coupled-Line Circuits, 136-137, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1999.