A novel design of a compact dual inverted C-shaped slots antenna for dual-band (IEEE 802.11b/g, 2.4-2.484 GHz and IEEE 802.11a, 5.15-5.35/5.725-5.825 GHz) WLAN applications is proposed in this paper. The antenna is based on dual inverted C-shaped slots and a μ-shaped feeding structure. These fundamental configurations are applied to achieve two operating bands with resonating frequencies at about 2.45 GHz and 5.5 GHz to cover the dual WLAN bands. The proposed antenna is fabricated and tested. The simulated and measured results show that the slot antenna obtains two independent operation bands of 2.4-2.515 GHz and 5.14-5.85 GHz for S11≤-10 dB, and also stable gain characteristic with peak gain variations less than 1 dBi for both the bands. Details of the analysis and research progresses are shown in the following sections to illustrate the design steps and the performance of the proposed antenna.
2. Khunead, G., J. Nakasuwan, N. Songthanapitak, and N. Anantrasirichai, "Investigate rectangular slot antenna with L-shaped strip," PIERS ONLINE, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1076-1079, 2007.
3. Liu, W. C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-FED G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007.
4. Wu, J.-W., Y.-D. Wang, H.-M., Hsiao, and J.-H. Lu, "T-shaped monopole antenna with shorted L-shaped strip-sleeves for WLAN 2.4/5.8 GHz operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, 65-69, 2005.
5. Wong, K. L. and L. C. Chou, "Internal composite monopole antenna for WLAN/WIMAX operation in the laptop computer," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 868-871, 2006.
6. Jan, J. Y. and L. C. Tseng, "Planar monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band application," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium Dig., Vol. 4, 158-161, Columbus, OH, USA, 2003.
7. Ooi, P. C. and K. T. Selvan, "A dual-band circular slot antenna with an offset microstrip-fed line for PCS, UMTS, IMT-2000, ISM, Bluetooth, RFID and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 16, 1-10, 2010.
8. Kang, L., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-T. Fan, and S.-J. Wei, "A novel rectangular slot antenna with embedded self-similar T-shaped strips for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 19-26, 2010.
9. Qing, X. M. and M. Y. W. Chia, "A compact dual-slot antenna for WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 37, 311-313, 2003.
10. Ren, W., "Compact 2.4/5-GHz dual-band annular-ring slot antenna with circular polarization," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1848-1852, 2009.
11. Liu, J.-C., B.-H. Zeng, C.-Y. Wu, and D.-C. Chang, "Double-ring slot antenna with tree-shaped coupling strip for WLAN 2.4/5-GHz dual-band applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 47, 374-379, 2005.
12. Sabri, H. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Two novel compact triple-band microstrip annular-ring slot antenna for PCS-1900 and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 5, 89-98, 2008.
13. Nasimuddin, Z., N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Dual-band circularly polarized S-shaped slotted patch antenna with a small frequency-ratio," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 2112-2115, 2010.
14. Nasimuddin and Z. N. Chen, "Aperture-coupled asymmetrical C-shaped slot microstrip antenna for circular polarization," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, 372-378, 2009.