Simultaneous switching noise (SSN) is a significant problem in high-speed circuits. To minimize its effect and improve the electrical characteristics of circuits such as signal integrity (SI) and power integrity (PI), a novel power plane with planar electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure is proposed for SSN suppression in printed circuit boards (PCB) in this paper. In which a kind of improved long bridge is used and the equivalent parallel inductance can be increased significantly. Compared to the typical spiral bridge EBG structure with the same parameters, the long bridge EBG structure will change bandgap into dual-band, with lower center frequency and wider bandwith. The effectiveness and accuracy of this structure are verified by both simulations and measurements.
2. Genovesi, S. and A. Monorchio, "A novel electromagnetic bandgap structure for broadband switching noise suppression in high-speed printed circuit boards," Proceedings of the 38th European Microwave Conference, 1374-1377, October 2008.
3. Yanagi, T., T. Oshima, H. Oh-hashi, Y. Konishi, S. Murakami, K. Itoh, and A. Sanada, "Lumped-element loaded EBG structure with an enhanced bandgap and homogeneity," Proceedings of iWAT2008, 458-461, 2008.
4. Young, B., Digital Signal Integrity Modeling and Simulation with Interconnects and Packages, Prentice Hall, October 19, 2000.
5. Zhang, M.-S., Y.-S. Li, C. Jia, and L.-P. Li, "Signal integrity analysis of the traces in electromagnetic-bandgap structure in high-speed printed circuit boards and packages," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1054-1062, May 2007.
6. Kamgaing, T. and O. M. Ramahi, "Design and modeling of high-impedance electromagnetic surfaces for switching noise suppression in power planes," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 47, No. 3, 479-489, Aug. 2005.
7. Wu, T.-L., C.-C. Wang, Y.-H. Lin, T.-K. Wang, and G. Chang, "A novel power plane with super-wideband elimination of ground bounce noise on high speed circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 3, 174-176, March 2005.
8. Joo, S.-H., D.-Y. Kim, and H.-Y. Lee, "A S-bridged inductive electromagnetic bandgap power plane for suppression of ground bounce noise," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 7, No. 10, 709-711, October 2007.
9. Toyota, Y., K. Kondo, S. Yoshida, K. Iokibe, and R. Koga, "Stopband characteristics of planar-type electromagnetic bandgap structure with ferrite film," 2010 Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 664-667, April 12-16, 2010.
10. Mohajer-Iravani, B. and O. M. Ramahi, "Suppression of EMI and electromagnetic noise in packages using embedded capacitance and miniaturized electromagnetic bandgap structures with high-k dielectrics," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packing, Vol. 30, No. 4, 776-778, November 2007.