A miniaturized internal wideband antenna suitable for integration with the printed circuit board (PCB) of a wireless universal serial bus (WUSB) dongle is presented in this paper. The proposed antenna mainly consists of a folded metal plate with two sides beveled. By introducing a short-circuited pin connected to the system ground and etching a pair of slots in the bevel sides of the folded metal plate, a large impedance bandwidth from 2.4 GHz to more than 11 GHz is obtained, which easily covers the 2.4 GHz WLAN, WiMAX, S-DMB and UWB frequency bands. The effects of the short-circuited pin and the narrow slots on the impedance matching of the proposed antenna are investigated. The proposed antenna is easy to be fabricated by bending a sample metal plate due to its miniaturized geometry of 5×12×12.5 mm3. Details of the antenna design are described, and experimental results of the constructed prototypes are presented and discussed.
2. Lin, C.-C., H.-R. Chuang, and Y.-C. Kan, "A 3--12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
3. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Kharakhili, and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
4. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
5. Gao, G.-P., X.-X. Yang, J.-S. Zhang, and J.-X. Xiao, "A printed volcano smoke antenna for UWB and WLAN communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 55-61, 2008.
6. Gong, J.-G., Q. Li, G. Zhao, Y. Song, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design and analysis of a printed UWB antenna with multiple band-notched characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 13, 1745-1754, 2009.
7. Lin, C.-C., S.-W. Kuo, and H.-R. Chuang, "A 2.4-GHz printed meander-line antenna for USB WLAN with notebook-PC housing," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 9, 546-548, Sept. 2005.
8. Yu, Y. and J. Choi, "Compact internal inverted-F antenna for USB dongle applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 2, Jan. 2009.
9. Su, S.-W., J.-H. Chou, and K.-L. Wong, "Internal ultrawideband monopole antenna for wireless USB dongle applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1180-1183, Apr. 2007.
10. Shin, J. W., S. J. Hong, and J. H. Choi, "A compact internal UWB antenna for wireless USB dongle application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 6, 1643-1646, Jun. 2008.
11. Krishna, D. D., M. Gopikrishna, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Ultra-wideband slot antenna for wireless USB dongle applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 18, Aug. 2008.
12. Viani, F., L. Lizzi, R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "A miniaturized UWB antenna for wireless dongle devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 714-717, Feb. 2007.