In this paper, a study on the dual-frequency box-shaped antenna is presented. With a 5-branch feeding strip and two plates of shorting strips, the antenna shows broadband and compact property. Then a U-shaped slot is etched for dual-band operation. Simulated and measured results all show that this antenna exhibits dual-wideband characteristic, covering several present wireless communication systems, such as GSM800/900 (824--960 MHz), WLAN11b (2.4--2.5 GHz), WiMax802.16 (2.5--2.7 GHz), and Bluetooth band (2.4--2.8 GHz). The simulated impedance bandwidth (2:1 VSWR) is 21.5% and 37.2% in the lower and higher band, ranging from 790MHz-980MHz and 2.3 GHz--3.35 GHz. Then details of the antenna are described and the prototype is fabricated and tested. A measured bandwidth of 19.8% and 38.9% in the two bands, ranging from 820 MHz--1000 MHz and 2.28 GHz--3.38 GHz, is observed, shown good agreement with simulated results. Moreover, the antenna has a coaxial feed with a compact size of 0.27λ×0.22λ×0.036λ (λ is the wavelength referenced to the lowest edge of the operating band 820 MHz).
2. Row, J.-S., "Experimental studies of the dual-band planar inverted-F antenna with a U-shaped slot," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 37, 359-361, 2003.
3. Murad, N. A., M. Esa, and S. Tukachil, "Microstrip U-shaped dual-band antenna," Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics, APACE, 2005.
4. Chang, F. S., H. T. Chen, and P. H. Hsu, "A novel broadband antenna for WLAN application," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2A, 557-560, 2005.
5. Shakib, M. N., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Patch antenna design for WLAN system," Microwave Conference, 2785-2787, 2009.
6. Mok, W. C., R. Chair, and K. M. Luk, "Wideband quarter-wave patch antenna with shorting pin," IEE Proceedings Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 150, 56-60, 2003.
7. Li, Y., K. M. Luk, and R. Chair, "A wideband triangular shaped patch antenna with folded shorting wall," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 14, 3517-3520, 2004.
8. Wong, K.-L., C.-H. Wu, and S.-W. Su, "Ultrawide-band square planar metal-plate monopole antenna with a trident-shaped feeding strip," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 1262-1269, 2009.
9. Islam, M. T., M. N. Shakib, and N. Misran, "Multi-slotted microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 11-18, 2009.
10. Islam, M. T., M. N. Shakib, and N. Misran, "Broadband E-H shaped microstrip patch antenna for wireless systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 163-173, 2009.