A probe-fed air-substrate patch antenna with an inclined radiating patch for generating a downtilt main beam for WLAN operation in an on-wall access point is presented. The proposed antenna has a simple structure and consists of two major parts: an L-shaped ground plane and an inclined radiating patch, which is easy to implement. Constructed prototypes suitable for operating in the 2.4 GHz WLAN band are demonstrated. Results indicate that, simply by varying the inclination angle of the radiating patch, a downtilt main beam with a wide range of downtilt angles can be achieved. In addition, by selecting the proper inclination angle of the radiating patch, the proposed antenna shows a narrower 3-dB beamwidth in the elevation plane, resulting in an enhanced antenna gain, which is very suitable for on-wall 2.4 GHz WLAN access point applications. Details of the proposed antenna design are described, and experimental and simulation results are presented.
2. Caratelli, D., R. Cicchetti, G. Bit-Babik, and A. Faraone, "A perturbed E-shaped patch antenna for wideband WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, 1871-1874, Jun. 2006.
3. Su, S. W., J. H. Chou, A. Chen, and L. Tai, "Compact patch antenna mountable above conducting plate for WLAN operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, 1130-1131, Oct. 2006.
4. Khaleghi, A., "Dual band meander line antenna for wireless LAN communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, 1004-1009, Mar. 2007.
5. Chao, K. C., F. S. Chang, H. T. Chen, C. H. Lu, and Y. T. Liu, "Dual-band operation vertical patch antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 1-3, 2007.
6. Liu, W. C. and J. K. Chen, "Dual-band twin stepped-patch monopole antenna for WLAN application," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, 929-931, Sep. 2009.
7. He, X., S. Hong, H. Xiong, Q. Zhang, and E. M. M. Tentzeris, "Design of a novel high-gain dual-band antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 8, 798-801, Jul. 2009.
8. Mak, C. L., K. F. Lee, and K. M. Lu, "Broadband patch antenna with a T-shaped probe," IEE Proc. Microwaves Antennas Propagat., Vol. 147, 73-76, 2000.
9. Chang, F. S. and K. L. Wong, "A broadband probe-fed planar patch antenna with a short probe pin and a conducting cylinder transition," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 31, 282-284, 2001.
10. Chang, F. S. and K. L. Wong, "A broadband probe-fed patch antenna for a DCS base station," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 30, 341-343, 2001.
11. Yang, S. L. and K. M. Lu, "Wideband folded-patch antenna fed by L-shaped probe," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, 352-355, 2005.
12. Zhang, J. W., S. S. Zhong, and Q. Wu, "Large-bandwidth patch antenna with ridge-shaped ground plate," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 487-488, 2006.
13. Chang, F. S., Y. T. Liu, S. W. Su, and J. H. Chou, "A probe-fed patch antenna with a step-shaped ground plane for 2.4 GHz access point," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 139-141, Jan. 2009.
14. Chang, F. S. and K. L.Wong, "Broadband patch antenna edge-fed by a coplanar probe feed," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 31, 287-289, 2001.
15. Chang, F. S., K. L. Wong, and T. W. Chiou, "Low-cost broadband circularly polarized patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 3006-3009, Oct. 2003.
16. Jo, Y. M., "Broad band patch antennas using a wedge-shaped air substrate structure," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., 932-935, 1999.
17. Ansoft Corporation HFSS, http://www.ansoft.com/products/hf-/hfss/.