In this paper, a novel hybrid dielectric resonator (DR) antenna for Ultrawideband (UWB) short-range wireless communications is proposed. The proposed antenna consists of a microstrip fed monopole loaded with a half cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna of Rogers RO3010 mounted on RT5880 substrate with a finite ground plane. The microstrip line fed monopole antenna is on the other side of the substrate. Compared to the conventional circular cylindrical DR mounted on a finite ground plane (reference antenna), the proposed antenna has a reduction in the antenna size by about 30% with a bandwidth increase by about 22% than the reference antenna. The proposed antenna has a good impedance bandwidth. In addition, the proposed antenna has a quite higher and more stable gain than that of reference antenna. Moreover, the antenna has a good omni-directional radiation patterns in the H-plane. The proposed antenna is considered a good candidate for UWB short-range wireless communication systems.
2. Haraz, O. M. and A.-R. Sebak, "A novel circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna for UWB applications," IEEE APS-URSI Conference Toronto, 1-4, Jul. 11-17, 2010.
3. Rao, Q., T. A. Denidni, A. R. Sebak, and R. H. Johnston, "On improving impedance matching of a CPW fed low permittivity dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 21-29, 2005.
4. Chang, T.-H. and J.-F. Kiang, "Broadband dielectric resonator antenna with an offset well," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 564-567, 2007.
5. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K.-F. Lee, "Wideband stair-shaped dielectric resonator antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 2, 299-305, Apr. 2007.
6. Liang, X. L. and T. A. Denidni, "H-shaped dielectric resonator antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 163-166, 2008.
7. Liang, X. L., T. A. Denidni, and L. N. Zhang, "Wideband L-shaped dielectric resonator antenna with a conformal inverted-trapezoidal patch feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 272-274, 2009.
8. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "Ultrawideband dielectric resonator antenna with broadside patterns mounted on a vertical ground plane edge," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 1047-1053, Apr. 2010.
9. Suma, M. N., P. V. Bijumon, M. T. Sebastian, and P. Mohanan, "A compact hybrid CPW fed planar monopole/dielectric resonator antenna," Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Vol. 27, 3001-3004, 2007.
10. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "Ultra-wideband dielectric resonator antennas," 2010 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-4, Mar. 2010.
11. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB dielectric resonator antenna with low cross-polarization," 2010 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 551-554, Jan. 2010.
12. Guha, D., B. Gupta, and Y.-M. Antar, "New Pawn-shaped dielectric ring resonator loaded hybrid monopole antenna for improved ultrawide bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, No. 3, 1178-1181, 2009.
13. Ansoft Corp., "HFSS, v10,", 2007.
14. CST Microwave Studio, ver. 2008, Computer Simulation Technology, Framingham, MA .