A highly miniaturized simplified composite right/left handed (SCRLH) mushroom zeroth-order resonator (MZOR) is proposed for bandpass filter (BPF) design. By introducing the U-slot etched around the metallic via (UEAV), more flexible selection of the shunt inductance value can be achieved compared with the original one. As the length of UEAV increased, zeroth-order resonant frequency of the MZOR decreased, even 88% size reduction can be achieved. Finally, a bandpass filter based on the proposed MZOR is designed, fabricated and measured. The simulated and measured results are presented and good agreement is obtained.
2. Sun, , Y. Y., Y. W. Zhang, F. Q. Liu, L. He, H. Q. Li, and H. Chen, "A novel filter based on zeroth-order resonance by means of CRLH transmission line," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 5, 1015-1018, May 2007.
3. Ji, J. K., G. H. Kim, and W. M. Seong, "A compact multiband antenna based on CRLH-TL ZOR for wireless mobile system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 12, 2852-2855, May 2009.
4. Lin, X. Q. , R. P. Liu, and X. M. Yang, "Arbitrary dual-band components using simplified structures of conventional CRLH TLs," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 7, 2902-2909, Jul. 2006.
5. Sanada, A. , C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Novel zeroth-order resonance in composite right/left-handed transmission line resonators," Proc. 2003 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 3, 1588-1592, Nov. 2003.
6. Gong, J. Q. and Q. X. Chu, "Miniaturized microstrip bandpass filter using coupled SCRLH zeroth-order resonators," IEEE Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 12, 2985-2989, Dec. 2009.
7. Lai, A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Infinite wavelength resonant antennas with monopolar radiation pattern based on periodic structures," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 868-876, Mar. 2007.
8. Tao, Y. , M. R. M. Hashemi, and T. Itoh, "Compact balun filter based on negative and zeroth order resonances using mushroom structures," Microwave Conference, 2009. EuMC 2009. European, 354-357, Sept. 29-Oct. 1, 2009.
9. Choi, J. and S. Lim, "Frequency reconfigurable metamaterial resonant antenna," Microwave Conference, 2009. APMC 2009. Asia Pacific, 798-801, Dec. 7-10, 2009.
10. Zhu, J. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact transmission-line metamaterial antenna with extended bandwidth," IEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 295-298, 2009.
11. Lancaster, M. J. and J. S. Hong, "Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications," Wiley, New York, 2001.
12. Yang, T. , M. R. M. Hashemi, P. C. Chi, and T. Itoh, "A new way of bandpass filter design based on zeroth-order and negative-order resonance modes," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference 2009, 163-166, 2009.
13. Han, W. J. and Y. J. Feng, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter using simplified left-handed transmission line structure," IEEE Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 2758-2762, 2008.