In this paper, a large signal equivalent circuit empirical model based on Anglov model for ceramic packed high power AlGaN/GaN HEMT has been proposed. A temperature-dependent drain current model, including self-heating effect, has been presented, and good agreement is achieved between measurement results and the calculated results at different temperature. The nonlinear capacitance models are modeled by the directly measured microwave scattering (S) parameters and multi-bias small signal equivalent model (SSECM) of packed device. A power amplifier based on large size AlGaN/GaN HEMT with a total gate periphery of 36 mm has been designed by using the proposed model for validation purpose, and the simulated results fit the measurement results well at different temperature.
2. Mari, D., M. Bernardoni, G. Sozzi, et al., "A physical large-signal model for GaN HEMTs including self-heating and trap-related dispersion," Microelectronics Reliability, Oct. 16, 2010.
3. Jarndal, A., et al., "Large-signal model for AlGaN/GaN HEMTs suitable for RF switching-mode power amplifis design," Solid-state Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 7, 696-700, Jul. 2010.
4. Angelov, I. , V. Desmaris, K. Dynefors, P. A. Nilsson, N. Rorsman, and H. Zirath, "On the large-signal modeling of AlGaN/GaN HEMTs and SiC MESFETs," Gallium Arsenide and Other Semicond. Appl. Symp., 309-312, Oct. 2005.
5. Xu, Y. , Y. Guo, R. Xu, B. Yan, and Y. Wu, "An support vector regression based nonlinear modeling method for SiC MESFET," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letter, Vol. 2, 103-114, 2008.
6. Yuk, K. S., G. R. Branner, and D. J. McQuate, "A wideband multiharmonic empirical large-signal model for high-power GaN HEMTs with self-heating and charge-trapping effects," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3322-3332, Dec. 2009.
7. Jardel, O., et al., "An electrothermal model for AlGaN/GaN power HEMTs including trapping effects to improve large-signal simulation results on high VSWR," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2660-2669, Dec. 2007.
8. Dahmani, S. , E. S. Mengistu, and G. Kompa, "Electro-thermal modeling of large-size GaN HEMTs," German Microwave Conference (GeMIC), 2008.
9. Tajima, Y., "100W GaN HEMT modeling," Microwave Journal, May 2007.
10. Jarndal, A. and C. Kompa, "An accurate small-signal model for AlGaN-GaN HEMT suitable for scalable larger-signal model construction," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 16, No. 6, 333-335, Jun. 2006.
11. Lu, J., Y. Wang, L. Ma, and Z. Yu, "A new small-signal modeling and extraction method in AlGaN/GaN HEMTs," Solid-state Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 1, 115-120, Jan. 2008.
12. Khalaf, Y. A., "Systematic optimization technique for MESFET modeling,", Doctor Dissertation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2000.
13. Gao, J. , X. Li, H. Wang, and G. Boeck, "A new method for determination of parasitic capacitances for PHEMTs," Semicond. Sci. Technol., Vol. 20, 586-591, 2005.
14. Qian, F., J. H. Leach, and H. Morkoc, "Small signal equivalent circuit modeling for AlGaN/GaN HFET: Hybrid extraction method for determining circuit elements of AlGaN/GaN HFET," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 7, Jul. 2010.
15. Xu, Y., Y. Guo, R. Xu, B. Yan, and Y. Wu, "An improved small-signal equivalent circuit model for 4H-SiC power MESFETs," Microw. and Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 2, 1455-1458, 2008.
16. Jimenez Martin, , J. L., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. E. Gonzalez-Garcia, F. J. Arques-Orobon, L. E. Garcia Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual band high efficiency class e power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009.
17. Zhang, B. , Y.-Z. Xiong, L.Wang, S. Hu, T.-G. Lim, Y.-Q. Zhuang, and L.-W. Li, "A d-band power amplifier with 30-GHz bandwidth and 4.5dBm Psat for high-speed communication system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 161-178, 2010.