In this letter, for the very first time, triple band rectangular patch antenna loaded with metamaterial has been reported. Maximum directivities demonstrated here for all the three bands are quite high in comparison with previously reported any kind of rectangular patch antenna. This unique triple band performance has been achieved with the help of newly produced TM0δ0 (3<δ<4) mode, symmetric slot loading and parasitic patch adjustment. Application of etched slot and parasitic patch in DPS (double positive)-metamaterial juxtaposed layer loaded antenna has been also demonstrated for the first time. Considering the quite satisfactory performance (S-parameter, radiation pattern and radiation efficiency) of this novel design, we expect that our proposed ideas will be very effective to design all these metamaterial loaded novel rectangular patch antennas.
2. Bilotti, F., A. Alu, and L. Vegni, "Design of miniaturized patch antennas with μ-negative loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, Jun. 2008.
3. He, S., J. Xiong, H. Li, and Y. Jin, "Patch antennas based on a pair of DPS and SNG metamaterial," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-3, 2010.
4. Maci, S. and G. Biffi Gentili, "Dual-frequency patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 6, Dec. 1997.
5. Mahdy, M. R. C., M. R. A. Zuboraj, A. A. N. Ovi, and M. A. Matin, "A novel design algorithm' and practical realization of rectangular patch antenna loaded with SNG metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 17, 13-27, 2011.
6. Xiong, J., H. Li, Y. Jin, and S. He, "Modified TM020 mode of a rectangular patch antenna partially loaded with metamaterial for dual-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 2009.
7. Maci, S., G. B. Gentili, P. Piazzesi, and C. Salvador, "Dual-band slot-loaded patch antenna," Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 142, 225-232, Jun. 1995.
8. Feise, M. W., J. B. Schneider, and P. J. Bevelacqua, "Finite-difference and pseudospectral time-domain methods applied to backward-wave metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, Nov. 2004.
9. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 1, 77-79, Apr. 2001.
10., "CST Microwave Studio 9.0 CST of America [Online]. Available: http://www.cst.com,".
11. Zheng, K. S., W. Y. Tam, and D. B. Ge, "Impedance matching of rectangular microstrip antennas partially loaded with DNG metamaterials," 38th European Microwave Conference, EuMC, 678-681, Oct. 2008.
12. Xing, L., Q. Xu, J. Li, Z. X.Wei, J. Ding, and C. J. Guo, "Broaden the bandwidth of patch antenna by using inhomogeneous metamaterial substrate," PIERS Proceedings, 155-159, Xi'an, China, Mar. 22-26, 2010.