This paper presents the synthesis of a novel dual-band bandpass filter with improved out-of-band performance. The proposed circuit is constructed by cascading a dual-band filter using trisection stepped impedance resonators (SIRs) and an L-C ladder lowpass filter using open-circuited stubs. The dual-band trisection SIR can provide the desired dual-band response, and the lowpass filter can improve the out-of band performance by suppressing the harmonics and spurious responses. The proposed filter has been fabricated and measured. Simulation and measurement results are found to be in good agreement.
2. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filter for RF/Microwave Application, Wiley, New York, 2001.
3. Liu, Y. and W. Dou, "A dual-band filter realized by alternately connecting the main transmission-line with shunt stubs and shunt serial resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, 296-298, 2009.
4. Tsai, C. M., H. M. Lee, and C. C. Tsai, "Planar filter design with fully controllable second passband," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 3429-3439, 2005.
5. Chin, K. S. and J. H. Yeh, "Dual-wideband bandpass filter using short-circuited stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, 155-157, 2009.
6. Chang, S. H., M. H. Weng, and H. Kuan, "Design of a compact dual-band bandpass filter using trisection stepped impedance resonators," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 1274-1277, 2007.
7. Zhang, J., J.-Z. Gu, B. Cui, and X. W. Sun, "Compact and harmonic suppression open-loop resonator bandpass filter with tri-section SIR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 93-100, 2007.