In this paper, a reflectarray antenna composed of a combination of double-petal loops of variable size is presented. To evaluate the performance of the designed element, a parametric study is carried out using Ansoft HFSS. For the optimal parametrics, the proposed structure shows an almost linear behavior, while the phase range is in excess of 500°. Then, a prime-focus 77-element reflectarray with this type of element has been designed and implemented. The measured results show that the obtained 1-dBi gain bandwidth of the reflectarray with double-petal loop elements can reach as large as 25% and the highest gain is about 19.3 dBi. Compared with the existing single layer elements (cross and rectangle loop, double rings, etc), microstrip reflectarray with this double-petal loop element can obtain a larger bandwidth.
2. Li, H. , B. Z. Wang, and W. Shao, "Novel broadband reflectarray antenna with compound-cross-loop elements for millimeter-wave application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1333-1340, 2007.
3. Abbosh, A. M., "Design of dual-band microstrip reflectarray using single layer multiresonance double cross elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 67-74, 2010.
4. Tahir, F. A., H. Aubert, and E. Girard, "Equivalent electrical circuit for designing MEMS-controlled reflectarray phase shifters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 1-12, 2010.
5. Huang, J. and A. Feria, "A one-meter X-band inflatable reflectarray antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 20, 97-99, Jan. 1999.
6. Encinar, J. A. and J. A. Zornoza, "Broadband design of three-layer printed reflectarrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1662-1664, 2003.
7. Hamed, H., M. Kamyab, and A. Mirkamali, "Broadband reflectarray antenna incorporating disk elements with attached phase-delay lines," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett.,, Vol. 9, 156-158, 2010.
8. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, and H. Legay, "Broad design of a single layer large reflectarray using muli cross loop elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3363-3366, 2009.
9. Li, Q.-Y., Y.-C. Jiao, and G. Zhao, "A novel microstrip rectangular-patch/ring-combination reflectarray element and its application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1119-1122, 2009.