Metamaterial covers exhibit inimitable electromagnetic properties which make them popular in antenna engineering. A traditional metamaterial cover has an identical transmission phase for a normally incident plane wave regardless of its polarization state. The purpose of this research is to show the possibility of using a polarization dependent metamaterial cover to change the polarization state of the incident plane wave. Novel polarization-dependent metamaterial (PDMTM) covers, whose transmission phases for two principal polarizations are different, are presented. A full-wave FDTD numerical technique developed by the authors is adopted for the simulations.
2. Enoch, S., G. Tayeb, P. Sabouroux, N. Guerin, and P. Vincent, "A metamaterial for directive emission," Physical Review Letters,, Vol. 89, 213902, 2002.
3. Xu, H., Z. Zhao, Y. Lv, C. Du, and X. Luo, "Metamaterial superstrate and electromagnetic band-gap substrate for high directive antenna," Int. J. Infrared Milli. Waves, Vol. 29, 493-498, 2008.
4. Huang, C., Z. Zhao, W. Wang, and X. Luo, "Dual band dual polarization directive patch antenna using rectangular metallic grids metamaterial," Int. J. Infrared Milli. Terahz Waves, Vol. 30, 700-708, 2009.
5. Semichaevsky, A. and A. Akyurtlu, "Homogenization of metamaterial-loaded substrates and superstrates for antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 129-147, 2007.
6. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A low profile single dipole antenna radiating circularly polarized waves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 9, 6-3083, 2005.
7. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Polarization-dependent electro-magnetic bandgap surfaces: Characterization, designs, and applications," IEEE AP-S Dig3, 339-342, 2003.
8. Veysi, M., M. Kamyab, S. M. Mousavi, and A. Jafargholi, "Wideband miniaturized polarization-dependent HIS incorporating metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 2010.
9. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
10. Iriarte, J. C., I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, A. Gosh, J. Laurin, C. Caloz, Y. Brand, M. Gavrilovic, and Y. P. de Demers, "EBG superstrate for gain enhancement of a circularly polarized patch antenna," IEEE APS, 2993-2996, 2006.
11. Chaimool, S., K. L. Chung, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Simultaneous gain and bandwidths enhancement of a single-feed circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using a metamaterial reflective surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 23-37, 2010.
12. Diblanc, M., E. Rodes, E. Amaud, M. Thevenot, T. Monediere, and B. Jecko, "Circularly polarized metallic EBG antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 638-640, 2005.
13. Arnaud, E., R. Chantalat, M. Koubeissi, C. Menudier, T. Monediere, M. Thevenot, and B. Jecko, "New process of circularly polarized EBG antenna by using meander lines," IET EuCAP, 1-6, 2007.