In this paper, a triangular patch antenna (TPA) with 15°-75°-90° angles is studied. The simulation results, using the full wave simulator, IE3D, for this TPA shape are compared with those for the equilateral triangular patch antennas (ETPA), the right angle isosceles triangular patch antenna (RAITPA), the 30°-60°-90° TPA and 30o-30o-120° TPA. It is found that for the same resonant frequency, the 15°-75°-90° TPA occupies the least area among these triangular shapes. In an attempt to verify the simulation results, a 15°-75°-90° TPA operating at 900 MHz is designed, fabricated, and measured. The measured value for the resonance frequency is very close to the value obtained by simulation. Finally, a 15°-75°-90° TPA with a shorting pin is investigated. As expected, a miniaturized patch is obtained by loading a shorting pin at the tip of the patch.
2. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Chap. 4, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1980.
3. Biswas, M. and A. Mandal, "CAD model to compute the input impedance of an equilateral triangular microstrip patch antenna with radom," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 12, 247-257, 2010.
4. Aydin, E. and S. Can, "Modified resonant frequency computation for tunable equilateral triangular microstrip patch," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 7, 500-505, 2010.
5. Bhomia, Y., A. Kajla, and D. Yadav, "Slotted right angle triangular microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Electronic Engineering Research, Vol. 2, No. 3, 393-398, 2010.
6. Nasimuddin, K. Esselle, and A. K. Verma, "Resonant frequency of an equilateral triangular microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 47, No. 5, Dec. 2005.
7. Guha, D. and J. Y. Siddiqui, "Resonant frequency of equilateral triangular microstrip patch antenna with and without air gaps," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2174-2177, Aug. 2004.
8. Karaboga, D., K. Guney, A. Kaplan, and A. Akdagli, "A new effective side length expression obtained using a modified tabu search algorithm for the resonant frequency of a triangular microstrip antenna," Int. J. RF and Microwave CAE, Vol. 8, No. 1, 4-10, Dec. 1998.
9. Overfelt, P. L. and D. J. White, "TE and TM Modes of some triangular cross-section waveguides using superposition of plane waves," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 34, No. 1, 161-167, Jan. 1986.
10. Zhang, J. and J. Fu, "Comments on `TE and TM modes of some triangular cross-section waveguides using superposition of plane waves'," IEEE Tran. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 39, No. 3, 612-613, Mar. 1991.
11. Olaimat, M., "Design and analysis of triangular microstrip patch antennas for wireless communication systems,", Master Thesis, Jordan University of Science and Technology, 2010.
12. Zeland Software, "www.zeland.com,".
13. Waterhouse, R., "Small microstrip patch antenna," Electronic Letters, Vol. 31, No. 2, 604-605, Jan. 1995.
14. Dey, S. and R. Mittra, "Compact microstrip patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 13, No. 1, 12-14, Sep. 1996.
15. Wong, K.-L. and S.-C. Pan, "Compact triangular microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 6, 433-434, Mar. 1997.