An innovative way to analyze the design of beam-forming networks (BFN) for scannable multi-beam circular antenna arrays using the CORPS (Coherently Radiating Periodic Structures) concept is introduced. This design of CORPS-BFN considers the optimization of the complex inputs of the feeding network by using the Differential Evolution (DE) method. Simulation results for different configurations of CORPS-BFN for a scannable circular array are presented. The results shown in this paper illustrate certain interesting characteristics in the behavior of the array factor for the scannable circular array. The most significant aspect that is unique to this proposal is the simplification of the feeding network based on CORPS.
2. Betancourt, D., A. Ibanez, and C. del Rio-Bocio, "A novel methodology to feed phased array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 55, 2489-2494, 2007.
3. Panduro, M. A. and C. del Rio-Bocio, "Design of beam-forming network for scannable multi-beam antenna arrays using CORPS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 173-188, 2008.
4. Betancourt, D., A. Ibanez, and C. del Rio-Bocio, "Coherently radiating periodic structures (CORPS): A step towards high-resolution radiations systems," IEEE AP-S 2005 Washington, DC, 2005.
5. Feortisov, V. and S. Janaqui, "Generalization of the strategies in differential evolution," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference Evolutionary Computation, 1996.
6. Yang, S., A. Qing, and Y. B. Gan, "Synthesis of low side lobe antenna arrays using the differential evolution algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation Conference, 1-22, 2003.
7. Panduro, M. A., C. A. Brizuela, L. I. Balderas, and D. A. Acosta, "A comparison of genetic algorithms, particle swarm optimization and the differential evolution method for the design of scannable circular antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 171-186, 2009.
8. Kurup, D., M. Himdi, and A. Rydberg, "Synthesis of uniform amplitude unequally spaced antenna arrays using the differential algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, 2210-2217, 2003.
9. Parsopoulos, K. E., D. K. Tasoulis, N. G. Pavlidis, V. P. Plagianakos, and M. N. Vrahatis, "Vector evaluated differential evolution for multi-objective optimization," IEEE Congress on Evolutionay Computation, 19-23, 2004.
10. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Minimizing the real functions of the ICEC'96 contest by differential evolution," IEEE Congress on Evolutionay Computation, 1996.
11. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory --- Analysis and Design, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, 1997.
12. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielsen, Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, Wiley & Sons, New York, 1999.
13. Haupt, R., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, 993-999, 1994.
14. Goldberg, D. E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, Massachusetts, 1989.