In this paper, a novel high selectivity dual-wideband microstrip bandpass filter (BPF) is proposed using two stub-loaded triple-mode stepped-impedance resonators (SIR) which are the same type but with different sizes. The SIR is formed by attaching one T-type open stub at the center plane and two identical short-circuited stubs symmetrically to stepped-impedance open microstrip line. And it can generate one odd mode approximatively determined by the stepped-impedance microstrip line and two even modes flexibly controlled by the loaded stubs. Either of the SIRs in this filter can not only separately generate one passband but also control the passband performance. Due to the intrinsic characteristics of the SIR, four transmission zeros can be created to improve the selectivity. A dual-wideband filter with the fractional bandwidth 14.9% for the first band from 3.09 GHz to 3.58 GHz and 10.2% for the second band from 4.99 GHz to 5.53 GHz is designed and fabricated. The filter is evaluated by experiment and simulation with good agreement.
2. Chiou, Y.-C., P.-S. Yang, J.-T. Kuo, and C.-Y.Wu, "Transmission zero design graph for dual-mode dual-band filter with periodic stepped-impedance ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 23-36, 2010.
3. Xiao, J.-K. and H.-F. Huang, "New dual-band bandpass filter with compact SIR structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 125-134, 2010.
4. Zhou, M. Q., X. H. Tang, and F. Xiao, "Compact dual band transversal bandpass filter with multiple transmission zeros and controllable bandwidths," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 6, 347-349, 2009.
5. Chen, Z.-X., X.-W. Dai, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using double square-loop structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 409-416, 2007.
6. Zhao, L.-P., X.-W. Dai, Z.-X. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter with triangular resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 417-424, 2007.
7. Liu, H. W., L. Shen, Z. C. Zhang, J. S. Lim, and D. Ahn, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using defected ground waveguide," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 13, 895-897, 2010.
8. Baik, J.-W., L. Zhu, and Y.-S. Kim, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using balun structure for single substrate configuration," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 1, 613-615, 2010.
9. Chin, K.-S. and J.-H. Yeh, "Dual-wideband bandpass filter usingshort-circuited stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 3, 155-157, 2009.
10. Deng, H.-W., Y.-J. Zhao, L. Zhang, X.-S. Zhang, and S.-P. Gao, "Compact quintuple-mode stub-loaded resonator and UWB filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 8, 438-440, 2010.
11. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "Quadruple-mode UWB bandpass filter with improved out-of-band rejection," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 3, 152-154, 2009.
12. Athukorala, L. and D. Budimir, "Compact dual-mode open loop microstrip resonators and filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 11, 698-670, 2009.
13. Rosenberg, U. and S. Amari, "Novel coupling schemes for microwaveresonator filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 12, 2896-2902, 2002.
14. Shen, W., X.-W. Sun, and W.-Y. Yin, "A novel microstrip filter using three-mode stepped impedance resonator (TSIR)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 2, 774-776, 2009.