An ultra-compact dual-band printed antenna is proposed. Connective and concentric double split rings (CCDSR) are used to generate two resonant frequencies in wireless local area network (WLAN) frequency bands. Tuning arms are added to the microstrip fed line, which can be used to tune the upper frequency band. The dimension of this antenna is only 9×24×1mm3, much smaller than those reported antennas. The measured -10 dB bandwidth in the 2.44GHz band is 140MHz (2.37-2.51GHz) and in 5.34GHz is 1.23GHz (4.86-6.09GHz), covering the 2.4/5.2/5.8GHz WLAN operating bands. Good radiations at these bands are also observed.
2. Lin, Y.-D. and P.-L. Chi, "Tapered bent folded monopole for dual-band wireless local area network (WLAN) systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 355-357, 2005.
3. He, X., S. Hong, H. Xiong, Q. Zhang, and E. M. M. Tentzeris, "Design of a novel high-gain dual-band antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 798-801, 2009.
4. Liu, W.-C., C.-M. Wu, and N.-C. Chu, "A compact CPW-fed slotted patch antenna for dual-band operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 110-113, 2010.
5. Liu, H.-W., C.-H. Ku, and C.-F. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 240-243, 2010.
6. Kuo, Y.-L. and K.-L. Wong, "Printed double-T monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band WLAN operations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 187-2192, 2003.
7. Jan, J.-Y. and L.-C. Tseng, "Small planar monopole antenna with a shorted parasitic inverted-L wire for wireless communications in the 2.4-, 5.2-, and 5.8-GHz bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 1903-1905, 2004.
8. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006.
9. Gao, S., L.-W. Li, and A. Sambell, "FDTD analysis of a dual-frequency microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnet-ics Research, Vol. 54, 155-178, 2005.
10. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Dual-wideband square slot antenna with a U-shaped printed tuning stub for personal wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 319-333, 2005.
11. Zhang, X. and J. Wang, "A novel dual-band planar inverted-F antenna for WLAN applications," Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory 2008, 148-151, 2008.
12. Wu, C.-M., "Dual-band CPW-fed cross-slot monopole antenna for WLAN operation," Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, 542-546, 2007.
13. Xin, G. L. and J. P. Xu, "Wideband miniature G-shaped antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, 1330-1332, 2007.
14. Li, Z. Q., C. L. Ruan, L. Peng, and X. H. Wu, "Design of a simple multi-band antenna with a parasitic C-shaped strip," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 1921-1929, 2010.
15. Liu, W. C., "Optimal design of dual band CPW-FED G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007.
16. Song, Y., Y. C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F. S. Zhang, "Multiband CPW-FED triangle-shaped monopole antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 329-336, 2007.
17. Saed, M. A., "Broadband CPW-few planar slot antennas with various tuning stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 199-212, 2006.
18. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 861-871, 2006.
19. Zhao, G., F.-S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z.-B. Weng, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 187-194, 2007.