We experimentally characterize the pulse-shortening phenomena in traveling-wave field effect transistors (TWFETs). When a decreasing voltage pulse is applied to the gate line and an increasing voltage pulse is simultaneously applied to the drain line, a sinusoidal wave supported by an exponential edge is developed in the drain line. In order to make the velocity of the sinusoidal wave coincident with that of the exponential edge, the wavenumber of this sinusoidal wave must be considerably increased. Moreover, the small-amplitude parts of the wave disappear with the shorter propagation while the large-amplitude ones remain in the drain line. The input pulse is considerably shortened owing to these two properties. This paper validates the pulse-shortening phenomena by performing several measurements using a breadboarded TWFET.
2. McIver, G. W., "A traveling-wave transistor," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 53, 1747-1748, 1965.
3. Narahara, K. and A. Yokota, "Experimental characterization of short-pulse generation using switch lines," IEICE Electron. Express, Vol. 5, 973-977, 2008.
4. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, and I. J. Bahl, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, Artech, 1979.
5. Narahara, K. and S. Nakagawa, "Nonlinear traveling-wave field effect transistors for amplification of short electrical pulses," IEICE Electron. Express, Vol. 7, 1188-1194, 2010.
6. Paul, C. R., Analysis of Multiconductor Transmission Lines, 252-358, Wiley, New York, 1994.
7. Hirota, R. and K. Suzuki, "Studies on lattice solitons by using electrical networks," J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., Vol. 28, 1366-1367, 1970.
8. Rodwell, M. J. W., S. T. Allen, R. Y. Yu, M. G. Case, U. Bhattacharya, M. Reddy, E. Carman, M. Kamegawa, Y. Konishi, J. Pusl, and R. Pullela, "Active and nonlinear wave propagation devices in ultrafast electronics and optoelectronics," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 82, 1037-1059, 1994.
9. Kintis, M., L. Xing, F. Flavia, D. Sawdai, L. K. Kwok, and A. Gutierres, "An MMIC pulse generator using dual nonlinear transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 17, 454-457, 2008.
10. Sano, E. and K. Murata, "An analytical delay expression for source-coupled FET logic (SCFL) inverters," IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 42, 785-786, 1995.