A delay nonlinear differential equation is proposed to investigate the condition of the microwave chaotic behavior existing between the antenna and the front-end protection circuit of a receiver such as the radar front-end limiter circuit. This investigation concerns the case of intentional or unintentional signals applied to the antenna outside of its bandwidth. Bifurcation diagrams show that the chaotic behavior appears for antenna impedance up to 10 Ω and for amplitudes greater than 1.2 V. Electrical simulation results agree well with theoretical ones.
2., "Applications of PIN diodes,", Application Note 922, Hewlett Packard, 2008.
3. Leenov, D., "The silicon PIN diode as a microwave radar protector at megawatt levels," IEEE Trans. on Electron. Devices, Vol. 4, No. 12, 53-61, 1964.
4. Glenn, C. M. and S. Hayes, "Observation of chaos in a microwave limiter circuit," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 4, No. 12, 417-419, 1994.
5. Granatstein, V. L., et al., "Effects of hight power micro-waves and chaos in 21st century analog and digital electronics," AFOSR, MURI, No. F4962001, Institute for Research in Electronics and Applied Physics, University of Maryland College Park, MD 20743-3511, 2006.
6. Blakely, J. N., J. D. Holder, N. J. Corron, and S. D. Pethel, "Simply folded band chaos in a VHF microstrip oscillator," Phys. Lett., Vol. 346, No. 1-3, 111-114, 2005.
7. Caroll, T. L. and L. M. Pecora, "Parameter ranges for the onset of period doubling in the diode resonator," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 66, 2002.
8. Su, Z., R. W. Rollins, and E. R. Hunt, "Simulation and characterization of strange attractors in driven diode resonator systems," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 40, 1989.
9. Ma, C. L., P. O. Lauritzen, and J. Sigg, "Modeling of power diodes with the lumped-charge modeling technique," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 3, 398-405, 1997.
10. Drozdovskaia, L., "RF and microwave frequency properties of a reverse-biased thick switching P-I-N diode," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 8, 2001.
11. Strollo, A. G. M., "A new SPICE model of power P-I-N diode based on asymptotic waveform evaluation," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 1, 1997.
12. Sze, S. M., Physics of Semiconductor Devices, 2nd Edition, Wiley-Interscience, 1981.
13., "BAP64-02 silicon PIN diode,", Data Sheet, No. 9397 750 06912, Philips Semiconductors, 2000.
14. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2005.
15. Vittanen, A. J., "Radiation impedance of half wave length dipole antenna in terms of Bessel functions," IEEE 10th Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference, MEleCon2000, Vol. 1, 2000.