A novel compact design for ultra-wide bandwidth (UWB) planar monopole antenna is presented in this paper. The basis for achieving the UWB operation is through using semicircular microstrip monopole antenna with modified ground plane in the form of semi circular umbrella like shape. This shape produces bandwidth ranging from 3 to 35 GHz with discontinuities from 7 GHz to 10 GHz, from 12.5 GHz to 17.5 GHz and from 22 GHz to 40 GHz. The antenna size is reduced by 27% relative to the size of conventional rectangular monopole patch antenna. Metamaterial structures are used for further antenna performance improvement. Two types of metamaterial namely EBG and DGS are studied. First, embedding metallo EBG (EMEBG) is used to eliminate ripples in the operating band and also further reducing the antenna size by more than 30% as compared to the proposed patch. The antenna design provides an impedance bandwidth of more than 33 GHz. Second, four arms spiral defected ground structure (SDGS) is used as a ground plane with four arms to further improve the antenna performance. The SAMC reduced the antenna size by more than 48% as compared to the proposed antenna patch, increased bandwidth, and decreased the cross polarization effect. Finally, embedded EBG together with SDGS ground plane are studied to take advantages of both techniques.
2. Ojaroudi, M., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Small square monopole antenna with inverted T-shaped notch in the ground plane for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 728-731, 2009.
3. Ray, , K. P., Y. Ranga, and P. Gabhale, "Printed square monopole antenna with semicircular base for ultra-wide bandwidth," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, 13-14, Mar. 2007.
4. Elsheakh, D. N., H. A. Elsadek, E. A. Abdallah, H. Elhenawy, and M. F. Iskander, "Ultra-wide bandwidth umbrella shaped microstrip monopole antenna using spiral artificial magnetic conductor (SAMC)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 8, 1225-1229, 2009.
5. Nashaat Elsheakh, D. M., H. A. Elsadek, E. A.-F. Abdallah, M. F. Iskander, and H. Elhenawy, "Ultra-wideband and miniaturization of the conventional inset feed microstrip patch with modified ground plane for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 171-184, 2009.
6. Sievenpiper, D. and et al, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.
7. Kim, Y., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Compact artificial magnetic conductor designs using planar square spiral geometries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 43-54, 2007.
8. Danideh, A., R. Sadeghi Fakhr, and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband co-planar microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 81-89, 2008.
9. Azari, A. and J. Rowhani, "Ultra wideband fractal microstrip antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 2, 7-12, 2008.
10. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "Design of an AMC with little sensitivity to the angle of incident and with compact size," Proceedings of the 2006 Antennas & Propagation Conference, 301-304, UK, Apr. 2006.
11. Yang, F., V. Demir, D. A. Elsherbeni, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and A. A. Eldek, "Enhancement of printed dipole antennas characteristics using semi-EBG ground plane," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 993-1006, 2006.
12. Yang, R., Y. Xie, P. Wang, and L. Li, "Microstrip antennas with left-handed materials substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 9, 1221-1233, 2006.
13. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, H.-S. Tae, and H. J. Lee, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006.
14. Yang, F. and Y. R.-Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 2009.