This paper presents an effective analysis method for EBG reducing patch antenna coupling. A couple of coaxial probes are used to analyze the mutual coupling reduction range of patch antenna arrays loaded with EBG in this method. Conventional FDTD/PBC algorithm for EBG structures is appropriate only in infinite ground plane and substrate. The gained frequency band-gap by using the algorithm can not be directly used in finite ground plane because of the edge effects. While the proposed coaxial probe method is valid not only in infinite ground plane and substrate, but also for finite ground plane. The method is more suitable for real environments. In order to validate the described method, a two-element microstrip patch antenna array is fabricated and measured. The experimental results are in good agreement with the theoretical data obtained by using the proposed method.
2. Zhang, G. H., Y. Q. Fu, C. Zhu, D. B. Yan, and N. C. Yuan, "A circular waveguide antenna using high-impedance ground plane," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, 86-88, 2003.
3. Li, Z. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "PBG, PMC and PEC surface for antenna applications: A comparative study," IEEE AP-S Dig., 674-677, Jul. 2000.
4. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A low-profile circularly polarized curl antenna over an electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) surface," Microwave Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 4, 264-267, Nov. 2001.
5. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003.
6. Fu, Y. Q., Q. R. Zheng, Q. Gao, and G. H. Zhang, "Mutual coupling reduction between large antenna arrays using electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 6, 819-825, 2006.
7. Fu, Y. and N. Yuan, "Elimination of scan blindness in phased array of microstrip patches using electromagnetic bandgap materials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 63-65, 2004.
8. Zhang, L., J. A. Castaneda, and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Scan blindness free phased array design using PBG materials," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2000-2007.
9. Sievenpiper, D. F., "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Electrical Engineering Department, University of California, Los Angeles, 1999.
10. Rahman, M. and M. A. Stuchly, "Transmission line-periodic circuit representation of planar microwave photonic bandgap structures," Microwave Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 1, 15-19, 2010.
11. Kim, Y., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Compact artificial magnetic conductor designs using planar square spiral geometries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 43-54, 2007.