This article proposes a novel 4-sector cylindrical-rectangular microstrip array with high-gain operation and multi-beam radiation for IEEE 802.11j MIMO WLAN system. With the use of 1 x 2 array, the impedance bandwidth for the operating band of 5 GHz can reach about 2.5% (125 MHz), which is enough for IEEE 802.11j specifications. Peak antenna gains across the operating band are close to 11.0 dBi with the gain variations of 0.3 dBi.
2. Lee, R. Q. and K. F. Lee, "Gain enhancement of microstrip antenna with overlaying parasitic directors," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 24, 656-658, May 1988.
3. Huang, C. Y., J. Y. Wu, C. F. Yang, and K. L. Wong, "Gain enhancement compact broadband microstrip antenna," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, 138-139, January 1988.
4. Gauthier, G. P., A. Courtay, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Microstrip antennas on synthesized low dielectric-constant substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 1310-1314, August 1997.
5. Coccioli, R., W. R. Deal, and T. Itoh, "Radiation characteristics of a patch antenna on a thin PBG substrate," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 21-26, 1998.
6. Kuo, J. S. and G. B. Hsieh, "Gain enhancement of a circularly polarized equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna with a slotted ground plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 1652, July 2003.
7. Yin, Y. Z., N. Zhao, Z. Huili, and Y. M. Guo, "High performance planar antenna array for broadband WLAN applications," IEEE Int. Symp. on Microwave, Antenna, Propagat. and EMC Technol. for Wireless Communications, Vol. 1, 220-223, 2005.
8. Wong, K. L., F. R. Hsiao, and T. W. Chiou, "Omnidirectional planar dipole array antenna," Omnidirectional planar dipole array antenna IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 624-628, February 2004.
9. Lin, C. C., C. M. Su, F. R. Hsiao, and K. L.Wong, "Printed folded dipole array antenna with directional radiation for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN operation," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, 1698-1699, November 2003.
10. Ansoft Corporation HFSS, , http://www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss.