A novel compact branch-line coupler operating in two arbitrary frequencies is proposed, analyzed and designed. Stepped-impedance stubs are used in the branch-line coupler to achieve dual-band applications. Parameters of the structure are chosen and provided for design guidelines. Broader operating frequency ratios and compactness are achievable. For the purpose of validation, a microstrip coupler operating at 2.4/5.2 GHz is fabricated and measured.
2. Kuo, J.-T. and C.-H. Tsai, "Generalized synthesis of rat race ring coupler and its application to circuit miniaturization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 51-64, 2010.
3. Liu, , G.-Q., L.-S. Wu, and W.-Y. Yin, "A compact microstrip ratrace coupler with modified lange and T-shaped arms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 509-523, 2011.
4. Okabe, H., C. Caloz, T. Itoh, "A compact enhanced-bandwidth hybrid ring using a left-handed transmission line section," IEEE MTT-S Int. Symp. Dig., 329-332, 2003.
5. Zhang, H. and K. J. Chen, "A stub tapped branch-line coupler for dual-band operations," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 17, No. 2, 83-90, 2008.
6. Chin, K.-S., K.-M. Lin, Y.-H. Wei, T.-H. Tseng, and Y.-J. Yang, "Compact dual-band branch-line and rate-race couplers with stepped-impedance-stub lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1213-1221, 2010.
7. Cheng, K.-K. M. and F.-L.Wong, "A novel approach to the design and implementation of dual-band compact planar 90 。 branch-line coupler," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2458-2463, 2004.
8. Cheng, K. K. M. and F. L. Wong, "A novel rat race coupler design for dual-band applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 15, No. 8, 521-523, 2005.