In this letter, a new miniaturized broadband 3-dB branch-line coupler at the center frequency of 880 MHz is proposed. The proposed coupler is designed by means of integrated miniaturization method, which consists of shunt capacitors, fractal geometry and equivalent miniaturized stubs, to achieve 82% size reduction compared with the referenced coupler. The return loss and isolation are both under -20 dB over a 19% relative bandwidth. The proposed coupler is simulated, fabricated and measured. The measured results agree well with the simulated ones.
2. Mayer, B. and R. KnÄochel, "Branch-line couplers with improved design flexibility and broad bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 32, 391-394, 1990.
3. Tanigawa, S., K. Hayashi, T. Fujii, T. Kawai, and I. Otha, "Tri-band/broadband matching techniques for 3-dB branch-line couplers," Proceeding of the 37th European Microwave Conference, 560-563, 2007.
4. Chen, W. L. and G. M. Wang, "Exact design of novel miniaturised fractal-shaped branch-line couplers using phase-equalising method," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 8, 773-780, 2007.
5. Jung, S.-C., R. Negra, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "A miniaturized double-stage 3 dB broadband branch-line hybrid coupler using distributed capacitors," IEEE APMC, 1323-1326, 2009.
6. Jung, S.-C., R. Negra, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "A Design methodolgy for miniaturized 3-dB branch-line hybrid couplers using distributed capacitors printed in the inner area," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2950-2953, 2008.
7. Shamsinejad, S., M. Soleimani, and N. Komjani, "Novel enhanced and miniaturized 90。 coupler for 3G EH mixers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 43-50, 2008.
8. Tang, , C.-W. and M.-G. Chen, "Synthesizing microstrip branch-line couplers with predetermined compact size and bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 9, 1926-1934, 2007.
9. Tang, C.-W., M.-G. Chen, and C.-H. Tsai, "Miniaturization of microstrip branch-line coupler with dual transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 3, 185-187, 2008.
10. Elhiwaris, M. Y. O., S. K. B. A. Rahim, U. A. K. Okonkwo, N. B. M. Jizat, and M. F. Jamlos, "Miniaturized size branch line coupler using open stubs with high-low impedances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 65-74, 2011.