A novel coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed wide tapered slot antenna (WTSA) is presented in this paper. A wideband CPW-to-wide slotline (WSL) transition is employed to feed the antenna. The corrugated edge structure and broken line tapered profile are also applied in this design to achieve wideband performance, as well as maintain compact size. A prototype of the antenna is fabricated. The measured results indicate that the antenna is a good candidate for UWB detection and imaging applications.
2. Lin, S. , R.-N. Cai, G.-L. Huang, and J.-X. Wang, "A miniature UWB semi-circle monopole printed antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 157-163, 2011.
3. Liu, J. , S. Zhong, and K. P. Esselle, "A printed elliptical monopole antenna with modified feeding structure for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 667-670, 2011.
4. Yang, , X.-S. and J.-H. Dou, "Planar multi-trapezoidal ultra-wideband antenna and its parametric analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 49-58, 2009.
5. Gibson, P. J., "The Vivaldi aerial," Proc. 9th Eur. Microwave Conf., 101-105, Brighton, U.K., Jun. 1979.
6. Mokraoui, A. R. Aksas, "Scattered FIeld improvement of tapered slot antenna using a parabolic-shaped slot," Microw. and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 4, 331-334.
7. Sugawara, S., Y. Maita, K. Adachi, K. Mori, and K. Mizuno, "A mm-wave tapered slot antenna with improved radiation pattern," IEEE MTT Int. Microwave Symp., 959-962, Denver, CO, Jun. 1997.
8. Wang , N.-B., Y.-C. Jiao, Y. Song, L. Zhang, and F. S. Zhang, "A microstrip-fed logarithmically tapered slot antenna for wideband applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 10, 1335-1344, 2009.
9. Yang, Y. , Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact Vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008.
10. Lazaro, A., R. Villarino, and D. Girbau, "Design of tapered slot Vivaldi antenna for UWB breast cancer detection," Microw. and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 3, 639-643, 2011.
11. Yngvesson , K. S., "The tapered slot antenna --- A new integrated element for millimeter-wave application," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 37, No. 2, 365-374, 1989.
12. Abbosh, , A. M., H. K. Kan, and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of compact directive Ultra wideband antipodal antenna," Microw. and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2448-2450, 2006.
13. Hood , A. Z. , T. Karacolak, and E. Topsakal, "A small antipodal Vivaldi antenna for ultra wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 7, 656-660, 2008.
14. Song , Y. , Y. C. Jiao, T. L. Zhang, G. Zhao, and F. S. Zhang, "Small tapered slot antenna with a band-notched function for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 97-105, 2009.
15. Wang , Y., A. Bakar, M. Bialkowsk, "Reduced-size UWB uniplanar tapered slot antennas without and with corrugations," Microw. and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 4, 830-836, 2011.
16. Kim , H. and C. W. Jung, "Ultra-wideband end fire directional tapered slot antenna using CPW to wide-slot transition," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 17, 1183-1185, 2010.